rear shock- loosening lock ring

28 replies to this topic
  • edscholl

Posted July 11, 2009 - 02:24 PM

ok, stupid question, but i'd rather ask something dumb than do something stupid....

i can't get the rear lock ring loosened to set the sag on my bike- looking from the top, which way loosens the ring? :worthy: never had a problem on my roadbike, but want to double check to make sure things aren't backwards here... :banana:

• dragbiker

Posted July 11, 2009 - 02:47 PM

Counterclockwise.

• edscholl

Posted July 11, 2009 - 03:01 PM

Counterclockwise.

thanks... what i was doing. i guess i gotta go get a drift, as i don't want to hit it any harder w/ a screwdriver... looks like it's going to shear part of the ring off...

• eddie odell

Posted July 12, 2009 - 10:55 AM

DONT HAMMER the ring, you may get it out of round and if continued to force it you may ruin the threads on the shock. A little penetrating oil and a spanner wrench will make you and your shock happy. Clean the threads all the way around first.

• The Beer Hunter

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:22 AM

Top Tip!

Take as much weight as possible off the shock.

What I mean is, short of actually taking the shock off put the bike on a stand & have the rear wheel free to spin.

Less compression on the spring - the easier it will be to compress it with the adjuster ring.

:worthy:

• MHouser

Posted July 12, 2009 - 12:42 PM

I took mine from factory adjusted setting to max compression all the way with a hammer and metal rod. That's how I roll.

• E.Marquez

Posted July 12, 2009 - 12:54 PM

A spanner wrench is the right tool. A brass drift is a acceptable tool to loosen the locking ring. If you put the bike on a stand as suggested above, you can then grab the spring and turn it by hand,, It will move the adjusting ring along with it most times.

• eddie odell

Posted July 12, 2009 - 01:00 PM

I took mine from factory adjusted setting to max compression all the way with a hammer and metal rod. That's how I roll.

Did you hammer it all the way down to the end of the threads? If so your well on your way to rolling towards a ruined spring.

• edscholl

Posted July 12, 2009 - 01:04 PM

i do have the bike up on a stand... oiled it last night, and let it stand... still can't get the locking ring to loosen...

what kind of spanner wrench are you guys using- there's no space to move one?

• eddie odell

Posted July 12, 2009 - 01:14 PM

i do have the bike up on a stand... oiled it last night, and let it stand... still can't get the locking ring to loosen...

what kind of spanner wrench are you guys using- there's no space to move one?

Most generally there is only one correct fitting wrench. One that fully engages the depth of the wrenching flat while at the same time has the correct or matching radius of the nuts OD. If both criteria are not held then you may damage the nut or your hands when it slips off. While some brands are thicker than others, you will want the slimmest one that fits correctly due to space constraints. Yes its not easy finding the good angle or room to turn it, but it can be done.

• lostonmonday

Posted July 12, 2009 - 01:15 PM

DONT HAMMER the ring, you may get it out of round and if continued to force it you may ruin the threads on the shock. A little penetrating oil and a spanner wrench will make you and your shock happy. Clean the threads all the way around first.

+1

My dad goobered up the top ring on my TTR 250 and had to have a new ring machined for it. I've done the jack the bike up and turn the spring method without any hick ups so far. If the spring turns, and the rings don't, LIGHTLY tapping on the rings with a drift and hammer then try turning the spring again.

• ptgarcia

Posted July 12, 2009 - 01:53 PM

I didn't have any trouble with mine. I used a big flathead screw driver to loosen the lock ring, then with the bike on the lift rotated the spring with my hand. I probably spent about 30 minutes from the time I rolled the bike out of its nook in the garage to the time I rolled it back.

• eddie odell

Posted July 12, 2009 - 02:08 PM

I didn't have any trouble with mine. I used a big flathead screw driver to loosen the lock ring, then with the bike on the lift rotated the spring with my hand. I probably spent about 30 minutes from the time I rolled the bike out of its nook in the garage to the time I rolled it back.

Yes thats usually how it goes. I'm just trying to help with this stuck ring thing??
Maybe someone else has already booogered up the threads??

• E.Marquez

Posted July 12, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image
Motion Pro style
http://ep.yimg.com/i...o_2060_41112866
Ohlins style
Posted Image

• edscholl

Posted July 12, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Yes thats usually how it goes. I'm just trying to help with this stuck ring thing??
Maybe someone else has already booogered up the threads??

grrrr, ring still not moving... what specific spanner are folks able to get in there? after that, my only option is probably to remove the the shock i'm assuming?

• Tinwings

Posted July 12, 2009 - 08:38 PM

grrrr, ring still not moving... what specific spanner are folks able to get in there? after that, my only option is probably to remove the the shock i'm assuming?

You aren't going to get a spanner in there without pulling the air boot out. Probably easier to just go ahead and remove the shock.

• Rob H

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:24 AM

I think I would just remove the shock at this point. I have a spanner like the first one in Bronco's post above, but I couldn't get it to grab the ring with the shock on the bike. It worked great with the shock on my workbench, though. To adjust it on the bike, I used a screwdriver and a rubber mallet and gently tap-tap-tapped for a while...

• djsather

Posted July 13, 2009 - 05:37 AM

I think I would just remove the shock at this point. I have a spanner like the first one in Bronco's post above, but I couldn't get it to grab the ring with the shock on the bike. It worked great with the shock on my workbench, though. To adjust it on the bike, I used a screwdriver and a rubber mallet and gently tap-tap-tapped for a while...

i have a spanner like the second one in the post and i couldn't get that think in there either. i really don't see how any spanner will fit in there. i just used a screwdriver and mallet as well and tapped it for a while till it came loose.

and just to clarify you do know that it goes counter clockwise if you are looking DOWN at the shock and not up from the bottom, right? just want to make sure.

• eddie odell

Posted July 13, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Yeh just remove it and deal with it on the bench. You do have penetrating oil going on it and not just oil right.

• edscholl

Posted July 13, 2009 - 09:56 AM

and just to clarify you do know that it goes counter clockwise if you are looking DOWN at the shock and not up from the bottom, right? just want to make sure.

yeah, trying to turn it the right way... that was my first question in this thread when it wasn't budging- wanted to make sure i wasn't doing anything super dumb! :worthy:

Yeh just remove it and deal with it on the bench. You do have penetrating oil going on it and not just oil right.

yup.

Related Content

Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by claydus
  • On July 31, 2014
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

• Hot  77 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.