2002 YZ426 Oil Blow-By?

6 replies to this topic
  • bjesse60

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:23 AM

My YZ426 seems to be putting some oil out the breather tube that comes from the valve cover and runs down the left side of frame, the bike has tons of power and haven't seen the first sign of any smoke out the tail pipe is this normal? Why would it blow out there?

• Ztard

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:35 AM

You over filled the oil.

• bjesse60

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:45 AM

You over filled the oil.

I hope you are right, is there any other condition that could cause this? The bike runs perfect. I hope it didn't hurt anything?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2009 - 07:32 AM

... is there any other condition that could cause this?

Yes. Normal operation. There is nothing unusual in a YZF blowing a few drops of oil through the breather, especially ridden hard and/or in hot weather.

If it's really excessive, the rings could be bad, or you could have over filled the engine.

Never check the oil level without first running the engine for a full minute to move the oil back to the frame from the crankcase.

Remember to drain both the frame AND the crankcase when draining oil. Add 1.5 qts, run for a minute, then check and adjust oil level.

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

• bjesse60

Posted July 11, 2009 - 11:55 AM

Yes. Normal operation. There is nothing unusual in a YZF blowing a few drops of oil through the breather, especially ridden hard and/or in hot weather.

If it's really excessive, the rings could be bad, or you could have over filled the engine.

Never check the oil level without first running the engine for a full minute to move the oil back to the frame from the crankcase.

Remember to drain both the frame AND the crankcase when draining oil. Add 1.5 qts, run for a minute, then check and adjust oil level.

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Thank you, I feel it is just a case of overfill but if the rings were bad enough to cause this wouldn't I be able to notice it through the exhaust as well?

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2009 - 02:24 PM

... if the rings were bad enough to cause this wouldn't I be able to notice it through the exhaust as well?

Not necessarily. Excessive combustion blow by results from bad compression rings. That may or may not have an effect on the oil ring.

The first thing you have to do is get the oil level right, then determine if you're pushing an abnormal amount out the breather.

• bjesse60

Posted July 11, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Not necessarily. Excessive combustion blow by results from bad compression rings. That may or may not have an effect on the oil ring.

The first thing you have to do is get the oil level right, then determine if you're pushing an abnormal amount out the breather.

Thank you, I just changed the oil today and will take a spin tomorrow and see how it does!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.