question for those older and YZer...

4 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:04 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=802539

Is this really possible, will an '02 426 engine bolt into an '06 (or newer) 450 frame!? The poster says he used the suspension and swingarm off of his '02 but said he bought new clamps? Also said he got a oil tank from a 250f and everything matched up...

Call me sceptical, it just sounded way too easy, I didn't think the engine or swingarm would bolt up, also thought the tube size on the older forks was different and/or the steering stem...

I also wonder how the exhaust mounts up...

I already converted my '02 to the '03-'05 subframe and plastics, maybe I can freshen her up again (I never plan on selling the bike, even if I break down and get a brand new one some day...

• hondacrf250rrr

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:12 AM

that post is a 250f not a 450 idk if it makes a difference

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • e30M3

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:26 AM

that post is a 250f not a 450 idk if it makes a difference

That makes a whole lot more sense. Not being familiar with the 250fs, and seeing he swapped cams like is common on the older 426s, I assumed...:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Possible, yes.

Worth doing in a world where you can simply buy a whole '06 for $3K or less?

No.

• e30M3

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:17 AM

Possible, yes.

Worth doing in a world where you can simply buy a whole '06 for $3K or less?

No.

Agreed. When I first saw it, I got this moment of excite. Gray, as you know in CA we are stuck with red and green stickers. There are a couple of places I like to ride during green sticker only times, that is why I got an '02 426 when I did (I wanted an '06 but didn't want to be restricted in when and where I rode).

It later occured to me that DMV goes off of the frame and not engine number, so the conversation would not serve the purpose I first imagined.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.