Warming up before oil change?

14 replies to this topic
  • Mike546

Posted July 11, 2009 - 05:47 AM

Is it necessary to warm the bike up before changing the oil. It seem like all the sediment would be in the bottom of the case if you didn't start it and stir it all up. There was an article about changing the oil in a new Honda in one of the magazines and they never mentioned warming it up. If I'm changing my oil at 6am on a Sunday morning before a ride I sure cant start it for three minutes and wake all my neighbors and the wife. :worthy:

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Contaminents settle as you pointed out. You want to circulate the oil to cause them to suspend in the oil again so they'll be removed when you drain the sump. You'll get more of the contaminents out running the bike before an oil change than not.

But, would it hurt your bike to change the oil a few times in the bike's life w/o warming it up first? Nope. But, it will take longer to drain and when you refill and be mindful less may have drained out that when you've change the oil warm.

• Mike546

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:17 AM

Thanks, that makes sense.

• srmoye2678

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:00 PM

Change it the night before, warm it up first!

• twenty34

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:09 PM

flows out easier when warm and you tend to get more out as well.

• cubera

Posted July 11, 2009 - 08:22 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: I changed the oil today twice since I put the oil I drained out right back in:bonk: :worthy: :banana:

• BergArabia

Posted July 12, 2009 - 05:15 AM

Contaminents settle as you pointed out. You want to circulate the oil to cause them to suspend in the oil again so they'll be removed when you drain the sump. You'll get more of the contaminents out running the bike before an oil change than not.

But, would it hurt your bike to change the oil a few times in the bike's life w/o warming it up first? Nope. But, it will take longer to drain and when you refill and be mindful less may have drained out that when you've change the oil warm.

Makes sense to me too.
I have noticed the new oil looks cleaner in the site glass, when I had warmed it up before changing it. (which I mostly do). So I agree with the, it gets more of the sediment out idea.

Waking up the neighbors is a bonus of warming the bike first.. Lol just kidding..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • monkeymotocross

Posted July 12, 2009 - 05:41 AM

i never warm my bike up.... just pull the plugs and let it sit over night.

• Solid State

Posted July 14, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Never changed the oil on anything without warm up. You could get away with it in a pinch if it was inappropriate to start the motor, but more dirty oil would remain. Warm oil just drains quicker and more completely. For reference, just look at the drain times versus temperature for the fork tubes in the service manual. It's not really rocket science when you think about it.

• BobFromOmaha

Posted July 14, 2009 - 05:05 PM

yep, warm it up! tell your neighbors there is no charge for the wake up call. :worthy:

• BergArabia

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:19 PM

yep, warm it up! tell your neighbors there is no charge for the wake up call. :worthy:

I like the way you think. How else are the neighbors going to know your a biker right?? No worse than buddy's car alarm going off in the middle of the night when someone walks to close to the car.. they'll get over it,

• frdbtr

Posted July 14, 2009 - 06:45 PM

i never warm my bike up.... just pull the plugs and let it sit over night.

+1 on this. Just pull the plug, lean it over on the triangle stand or something and let it sit all night.

• fxrs

Posted July 15, 2009 - 01:44 AM

warm it up get it very warm it helps take sediments out . gives you a much better job.

• dakynz

Posted July 16, 2009 - 01:03 PM

don't just warm it up. Ride it around so you really getting all the sediments loose.

Also remember to warm the new oil up before putting it in the engine. Engine's hate cold oil. :worthy: j/king before any blasts me for that comment

• emerybrian

Posted July 16, 2009 - 03:08 PM

I always warm the engine by idling, although this only warms the engine oil. If I weren't always so rushed at the end of a raceday with loading/driving/unloading/washing/filters/etc/etc I'd drop the trans oil at the track. It comes out like boiling hot black water right after a moto!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 ECU in 2012? by dayusmc

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

First Ride 2015 CRF450 by Hillguitar

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  24 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.