Decibel Level for Stock uncorked WR Pipe???

13 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted September 17, 2002 - 07:24 AM

Hi everyone,
I am entering my first enduro next month. They have a sound requirement of 101db. I was wondering if my stock pipe-uncorked would pass? If not, I will plug it back up for the event.

Thanks,
Dave

• tripod

Posted September 17, 2002 - 08:30 AM

You will not pass. But heres how you can w/o much power loss, TT member mcarp is to thank for this trick. go to home depot or another plumbing supply store, buy an approx. 1.5 in. stainless steel drain (the ones with 20-25 small holes machined in the bottom and sides the one I bought had yellow packaging) then take a rubber mallet and the handle of something of the same size of the drain and tap it into the ass end of your uncorked sparky, it will fit very snug up against an interior flange. I soud checked at Hollister last week at 100db, and have ridden w/o it coming loose at all. It is also a good idea to take the end cap from your stock pipe to the store just to make sure you have the right size drain before you buy, it will cost you about 2 or 3 bucks, buy two just in case, and take your stock plug to the race in case you dont have the same results as me. oh yea...good luck at the race.

• Jim_Patterson

Posted September 18, 2002 - 08:15 AM

Just had my 01wr426 checked uncorked @4500 rpm.
It checked 101-103 Decibels. I need 94DB for some of my Michigan rides. I have a insert from Baja that tested 91/92 DB but the performance was somewhere between that of the stock stinger and fully uncorked.

• techman

Posted September 20, 2002 - 05:01 PM

It warms my heart to see info used and results come back that back up my measurements. FYI, that's as loud as a stock YZ pipe which loosely translates into not publicly acceptable.

If you got 91 dB on the BD insert and better performance than the stock insert, I'd say that's a deal because the stock is 94 to 96 dB according to my old data.

• techman

Posted September 20, 2002 - 05:02 PM

It warms my heart to see info used and results come back that back up my measurements. FYI, that's as loud as a stock YZ pipe which loosely translates into not publicly acceptable.

If you got 91 dB on the BD insert and better performance than the stock insert, I'd say that's a deal because the stock is 94 to 96 dB according to my old data.

• techman

Posted September 20, 2002 - 05:02 PM

• dp400

Posted September 22, 2002 - 05:42 PM

Dave
It was great meeting you at the TT ride! We'll have to hook up for more of the same. In this post you mention that you are running your first enduro soon - Which one are you running?
Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HaremScarem

Posted September 23, 2002 - 05:46 AM

Try to find someone in the TTR section that owns a 250 and wants to part with their stock muffler plug. I owned a 2002 TTR250 and used it's plug in my 2002 WR426. It has a larger opening than the stock 426 plug and fits perfect. It kept the noise real low and worked great!

• Fryboy

Posted September 23, 2002 - 07:17 AM

Dan,
It was great meeting and riding with you too. I had a great time and loved trying out your KTM. The enduro I am running Oct 13 is the CERA enduro here is the link: http://www.cera.org/tw2002.htm

Why don't you sign up and come ? If you can't make it we will have to set up a ride in a couple of weeks. Unless you want to wait for the rain. Either way we will ride again.

I am gettin me some of them tires !!!!!

Dave

• WRMike250f

Posted September 23, 2002 - 12:42 PM

Hey Dave,

Sure was fun riding with such a merry bunch of dudes, and that was even before all the beer was poured!

Although my bike is the wr250f, we have the same pipe, so that vortip end on my bike would fit yours. I thought it left the mid range a bit flat on the 250 but maybe on the 426 will have no effect?

Anyhow next time your up here riding give me a call and I can let you try the tip out on your bike. It brought my db's from 101 down to 88.

If not I can send it to you to try on your next ride. Unfortunately I'll be in Marin for a gymnastics event instead of at the Enduro.

Cheers!

• techman

Posted September 23, 2002 - 04:38 PM

Apologies for that triple post!!! :) I don't know how/why it happened (flaky browser?), never happened before. The TTR insert idea sounds interesting. If you can, get it sound tested and let us know the number.

• Fryboy

Posted September 24, 2002 - 06:46 AM

Mike,

I really enjoyed meeting, riding, and talking with you and Aaron. Aaron is a funny guy. Lets keep him happy though for all of our sakes. LOL.

Too bad you can't make the enduro maybe next time?

We will definately have to get together again and ride.

Thank you ! I would like to try the tip on my pipe and see how it compares to stock with baffle.

Not sure when I will be back up in that area but I bet atleast one more time before Oct12-13.

Talk to you soon,
Perhaps I will PM you when I am coming. If not this coming weekend then next.

Dave

• WRMike250f

Posted September 24, 2002 - 12:08 PM

Just let me know I'll be here.

• AZWR426

Posted September 25, 2002 - 08:52 PM

This might be flaky but I had a Vortip and I didn't like it as I thought it was real ugly sticking way out and it was too quiet as I was used to being totally uncorked. I also am running stock jetting so far and with the Vortip on deceleration I would get a small backfire. So I took a hacksaw and cut the tip off right at the weld. Now it is half way between the two extremes in noise and no backfire and the power is good. Mark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.