significant differences between YZ and WR?

6 replies to this topic
  • YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted July 10, 2009 - 07:13 AM

what are the main differences between the two (of the same generation)

I am curious if I could swap the frame and stuff and turn my 06 YZ450 into a green sticker WR

• moto_xmayhem21

Posted July 10, 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hey!

I have owned an 05 WR 450 and modded it to be like the YZ. We also have a 08 WR 450 in the garage sitting next to it's brother, the 07 YZ 450. I have also modded two 05 WR 450's and my best friends 07 WR 450

Hopefully my knowledge (although limited to basic mods) will help you!

The main diffrences would include, to the best of my memory:

-Transmission, "WR" has the wide-ratio gear box.
-Ignintion. The YZ runs on a "hotter" ignition map, please excuse the home made terms and slang!
-Exauhst is quieter on the WR
-Smog equipment that grants you the green sticker.
-Cam shafts, the YZ's have thller lobes I believe
-Starter, battery, coolant overflow tank on the WR
-And tons of other little things

I'm not sure how similar the frames are. They seem alot alike looking at them in the garage but probably a phone call away from finding iut for sure.

I would also think it is easier to make the WR into more of a YZ than the other way around.

The hardest part about that for me was removing the starter. If you were to pull the starter off the WR you would have a hole in the left case. A YZ case will not fit the WR. (On a 2005 and similar years) It would require some modification/fabrication on the stock.

There are a ton of free mods for the WR too. You can pull all of the smog stuff off, or fill the lines with silicone and put them back on making them "look" functional. On the older 05 you could cut holes in the air box, remove air silencers, take the baffle out of the exhaust, and snip th grey wire. I've heard the grey wire mod only works well when the smog equipment is still on the bike and functional though.

I know a YZ silence will fit the WR (aluminum frame models) and the only real changes I made to my friends 07 WR were: Remove the smog stuff and re-jet, fmf pipe set up.

Like I said, it's easier to start with a WR and make it a YZ. You already have the green sticker that way. It's all aboult shaving weight after that! Good Luck! I hope that atleast some of this info is useful!:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2009 - 10:53 AM

what are the main differences between the two (of the same generation)

I am curious if I could swap the frame and stuff and turn my 06 YZ450 into a green sticker WR

No, not easily, or cheaply, and not in California under any circumstance. The VIN number will prevent a YZ from ever getting a Green Sticker.

The main diffrences would include, to the best of my memory:

-

• Transmission, "WR" has the wide-ratio gear box.
  • -Ignintion. The YZ runs on a "hotter" ignition map, please excuse the home made terms and slang!
  • -Exauhst is quieter on the WR
  • -Smog equipment that grants you the green sticker.
  • -Cam shafts, the YZ's have thller lobes I believe
  • -Starter, battery, coolant overflow tank on the WR
  • -And tons of other little things

2) The entire electrical system is totally different, and the two CDI units are not interchangeable. I know at least one member here who has converted a YZ to WR electricals so that he can run big lights, and he was compelled to use the WR black box as well to make it work. He did not notice any loss of performance from this conversion.

4) Not all WR450's were green sticker, but most are. One or two year models were released too late to be certified. As stated above, just having the equipment won't qualify the bike for green.

5) The cam differences are more a matter of timing than anything else. In fact, up to and including the '06 models, that was the only difference. Substituting the exhaust cam from the same year YZ in any WR '03-'06 gives you YZ cams.

Other differences are obviously the weight, which is about 25 pounds. The frame is actually different, and sits slightly lower. WR's have an 18" rear wheel.

The rear shock is shorter on the WR and has entirely different valving. The WR forks are still the same open bath KYB 48mm units that were used on the '04 YZF.

Comparing Gen 1 450's (oil in the frame, '03-'05 YZ450 & '03-'06 WR450) The transmissions will interchange, but only as complete assemblies. The top ends will swap, and are mostly the same parts. The crankcases are different, and non of the two magnetos or covers will interchange in any way without changing the cases too.

Gen2 450's (aluminum framed '06-'09 YZF and '07+ WR's) are a little more alike in that the crankcases are functionally identical. Either bike will accept the magneto and cover from the other, BUT the crankshaft left axle must also be changed to accomplish the swap. The transmissions can be interchanged without replacing the output shaft, shift forks or shift cam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted July 10, 2009 - 12:55 PM

thats what I wanted to know, thank you.

• vorra65

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:16 AM

After much sailing in search mode, I found perhaps a thread to post my "what if" ............

2004 WR450F (CA) with a damaged frame, I would like to buy an 06 WR (out of state) frame to replace said damaged frame. Because the 06 frame does not possess the evil 3 or C in the vin-when I swap my 04 engine in will I then be a green sticker owner? Would this require the dismantle/salvage slip for the damaged frame to be successful?

Really like my 04 and would like it even more, if I had the green stickie.

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 11:40 AM

It could be a Green Sticker bike that way, but you'd be better off checking the DMV with that one. Just ask if the '06 WR450 qualifies, and have the VIN available if you can, or the VIN for any '06 WR. Then buy the frame with a title, reconstruct the bike with your parts, and register it as an '06, and leave it at that. I don't think any special construction tags will be required.

Afterward, you can report your '04 as having been destroyed or sold for salvage.

Always best to check with the DMV on legal matters, but I think this is correct.

• Polar_Bus

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:08 AM

-And tons of other little things

Like a KICKSTAND !! :bonk: (The one and only thing I loved about my WR) LOL

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.