Just bought an 09 WR450F

27 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted July 09, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Yep, after reading reviews, kicking tires, looking at the competition, talking to the wife, checking the bank account, shopping for price and then doing it all over again and again and again, today I finally pulled the trigger on a brand spanking new 09 WR450F. Bought my last new dirt bike ten years ago so I figure I am due.

I have it loaded up and will go riding tomorrow. I am going to ride it bone-restricted-stock for a few (10) hours of break in then I will open that bad boy up. I'll do all the free mods and lube the suspension and check the valves.

Can't wait for the ride or the tinkering.

• 2006wr450f

Posted July 10, 2009 - 06:51 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 10, 2009 - 12:28 PM

I have it loaded up and will go riding tomorrow. I am going to ride it bone-restricted-stock for a few (10) hours of break in then I will open that bad boy up. I'll do all the free mods and lube the suspension and check the valves.

JMO I'd cut the throttle stop to 23.5 mm total length (YZ length). That way you can break that thing in properly. Warm it up to proper operating temp and then find an open area and go though the gears hard. When downshifting let the engine slow the bike down in every gear. 5 or 6 runs ought to do it. That'll let the rings seat nice. Then just ride it like you would normally.

Breaking it in easy isn't gonna do the bike any favors.

Oh and congrats! :worthy:

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 10, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Dig the bike. A lot.

Yea, I am a firm believer in a strong break in and I had to get a bit creative with the half throttle. I followed the manual and rode it easy for about five minutes and let it cool for another five minutes and then we hit the trails. I varied the rpms a lot and put it under a load on some up hills. I also found some open fire roads and let it sing. Overall I put it through several heat cycles, got it good and warm under load on up hills and then let it cool and the way down.

Cant wait to do the mods.

• rampar

Posted July 11, 2009 - 02:16 AM

Im going through the exact same thing rkwfxd1. Im past the convince the wife bit and up to the "sell the yzf750 first" bit.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 11, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Good luck getting your 750 sold.

Even though I really WANTED the WR it was not something that I NEEDED and I was concerned about my justification for it and having buyer's remorse after spending all that cash on a dirt bike.

Now that I have it and have ridden it -

I don't feel bad at all:thumbsup: In fact, I slept very well last night.:worthy:

• shrubitup

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Good luck getting your 750 sold.

Even though I really WANTED the WR it was not something that I NEEDED and I was concerned about my justification for it and having buyer's remorse after spending all that cash on a dirt bike.

Now that I have it and have ridden it -

I don't feel bad at all:thumbsup: In fact, I slept very well last night.:banana:

Good to hear! :worthy:

• marine89

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Is there a difference between the cali model and what the rest of the states get? My cuz is looking at getting one in vegas and he is trying to get them to meet the price he can get here. but the dealer in vegas says what he would get here is more restricted then what he could get in vegas. is this true? and congrats on the ride...

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:34 PM

Is there a difference between the cali model and what the rest of the states get? My cuz is looking at getting one in vegas and he is trying to get them to meet the price he can get here. but the dealer in vegas says what he would get here is more restricted then what he could get in vegas. is this true? and congrats on the ride...

I am pretty sure that EVERY state legally should be selling them un modified buit I am sure that thje dealer in Nevada is selling it uncorked and cuz could never find an un-corked one in a CA dealer... Whats the price diff?

It takes what $45 for an AIS removal kit and a case of beer to mod it out?... and a half day (longer if you start drinking early)

Not that I would suggest such a thing as I understand CA land managers actually know how to look for a modified bike :worthy:

• marine89

Posted July 16, 2009 - 05:40 PM

my cuz lives in vegas, and doesn't want to come and get it here but is willing to so if the dealer in vegas won't give it to him cheaper. he said he could get it here for like 5800 out the door.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:27 PM

my cuz lives in vegas, and doesn't want to come and get it here but is willing to so if the dealer in vegas won't give it to him cheaper. he said he could get it here for like 5800 out the door.

That blows. There's a '07 WR450F for sale here NEW at the dealer for $3,899. But that's not out the door either but I'm sure all their fees wouldn't come to $2K hopefully. But hey, your travel and time to get it would. :worthy:

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 17, 2009 - 06:02 PM

So... to get this post back on topic on MY new 09:busted: ....

Let me just say I am loving this bike. I was concerned about the jump from XR250 to WR450. I should not have been. Even with the YZ stop and AIS removal jetting the power is very controllable. I notice more vibration in the grips than my old 250 but that is just a difference not a complaint. I really can't find anything I do not like about this bike. I have hand guard and radiator guards coming from the TT store and my next purchase will be a 52T sprocket to lower the gearing but these are things I do to all my bikes.

I was concerned about it overheating but since I re=jetted that seems to be a non-issue. It was hot today and at times we were slow but I never boiled over - the level of coolant in the catch tank never changed.

The initial re-jet was a pain but now that I have been through it and done some more research here and learned a few tips, even the wrenching is no big deal.

Not to mention....

I have been riding with my 15 y/o daughter every Friday for the past few weeks. That alone is worth the price of admission. Today she took over my old XR250, rode better than she ever has and fell in love with that bike.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have hand guard and radiator guards coming from the TT store and my next purchase will be a 52T sprocket to lower the gearing but these are things I do to all my bikes.

I'm interested in that 52 tooth sprocket. I'm looking for more hit off the bottom and I really want to avoid swapping cams.

I have been riding with my 15 y/o daughter every Friday for the past few weeks. That alone is worth the price of admission. Today she took over my old XR250, rode better than she ever has and fell in love with that bike.

awesome :worthy:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 17, 2009 - 09:41 PM

I'm looking for more hit off the bottom and I really want to avoid swapping cams.

Is that because of the e-start issues?

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 17, 2009 - 10:54 PM

I'm interested in that 52 tooth sprocket. I'm looking for more hit off the bottom and I really want to avoid swapping cams.
awesome :worthy:

While the bottom end will be nice, there is more to this mod for me. I am pretty slow and I found myself always wanting to ride in a gear between 2nd and 3rd on my XR250. I had to rev 2nd out or lug 3rd. I went to a 13/52 combo on the 250 and love it. I usually ride trails in 3rd and hit hills in 2nd and if it gets really gnarly I have one more gear to drop down to. Also, make it much easier to wheelie the gutless 250.

I am finding the same to be true with my WR - 2nd is too low and 3rd is too tall for the trails and I have the same problem with 1st and 2nd for the hills. I am probably just trying to put a band aid on my poor riding skills, but whatever, it has worked for me in the past so I will try it again.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 18, 2009 - 10:03 AM

Is that because of the e-start issues?

No I kick most of the time so the e-start issues are minimal at best. Its really the time and money issue involved.

• erickdj

Posted July 19, 2009 - 08:01 AM

No I kick most of the time so the e-start issues are minimal at best. Its really the time and money issue involved.

oh, come on. Time issue? It can be done in 1/2 day while drinking a 6-pack of cold beer. I doubt a gearing change would come even remotely close to providing the extra grunt the cams do over the spread of the engine's rpm range.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 19, 2009 - 02:33 PM

oh, come on. Time issue? It can be done in 1/2 day while drinking a 6-pack of cold beer. I doubt a gearing change would come even remotely close to providing the extra grunt the cams do over the spread of the engine's rpm range.

Yea but a decent rear sprocket its what? $30?

Even if a tooth or two doesn't give me the response I'm after off of the bottom it'll still to tighten up the gear ratios a little.:worthy:

Been riding lately?

• erickdj

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Been riding lately?

You know it, can't stop riding.:banana: Yesterday I took this hot chick to teach her how to ride. I got a clean 2000 kx100 smoker about a week ago, got her to learn the basics on it.:worthy: Then at about 1pm when the weather was getting too warm we headed to the river for a nice cool-off session in the water.:banana: Didn't leave the woods until 7:30pm. It was a pretty fun day. She wants to go back and keep learning how to ride. I'm all for that.:banana: I already told her the next trip would be to the Elkins swimming hole.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:52 PM

You know it, can't stop riding.:banana: Yesterday I took this hot chick to teach her how to ride. I got a clean 2000 kx100 smoker about a week ago, got her to learn the basics on it.:worthy: Then at about 1pm when the weather was getting too warm we headed to the river for a nice cool-off session in the water.:banana: Didn't leave the woods until 7:30pm. It was a pretty fun day. She wants to go back and keep learning how to ride. I'm all for that.:banana: I already told her the next trip would be to the Elkins swimming hole.

Nice :banana:

She got a sister?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.