I looked at KTMs today

14 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted July 09, 2009 - 04:03 PM

I have been thinking I want a WR450 for a while now. I have some cash saved up and have been reading everything I can find about them. I even got to briefly ride a bone stock one last week. I liked it a lot but the free mods need to be done.

Anyway, as part of my buying process I am looking at the competition. I have looked at and ridden KTMs before and really liked them so I thought I would take another look.

Totally not feeling it. Don't get me wrong, I still think KTMs are great bikes but it really had nothing over the WR that I could see. I even went to look with my checkbook in hand and tie downs in my truck. Just couldn't find it in me to purchase the bike. Seemed like a lot more money for no real added benefits.

So...I have previously checked the CRF off of my list (this was tuff as I am a life long Honda fan), today I checked the KTM off my list, I don't want EFI and a 1.6 gal tank is too small so the RMX is off the list. I think the only thing left for me to do is give the KLX one last look before I finally pull the trigger on the WR.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 09, 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have been thinking I want a WR450 for a while now. I have some cash saved up and have been reading everything I can find about them. I even got to briefly ride a bone stock one last week. I liked it a lot but the free mods need to be done.

Anyway, as part of my buying process I am looking at the competition. I have looked at and ridden KTMs before and really liked them so I thought I would take another look.

Totally not feeling it. Don't get me wrong, I still think KTMs are great bikes but it really had nothing over the WR that I could see. I even went to look with my checkbook in hand and tie downs in my truck. Just couldn't find it in me to purchase the bike. Seemed like a lot more money for no real added benefits.

So...I have previously checked the CRF off of my list (this was tuff as I am a life long Honda fan), today I checked the KTM off my list, I don't want EFI and a 1.6 gal tank is too small so the RMX is off the list. I think the only thing left for me to do is give the KLX one last look before I finally pull the trigger on the WR.

KLX? Look close at the fit and finish. Not so hot. Not to mention clutch and tranny issues if you ride hard.

The KTM's are great in many respects, like weight and tractable power. Other than that, they are not worth $4000.00 dollars more, period.

• Ironhorse

Posted July 09, 2009 - 05:09 PM

KLX? Look close at the fit and finish. Not so hot. Not to mention clutch and tranny issues if you ride hard.

The KTM's are great in many respects, like weight and tractable power. Other than that, they are not worth $4000.00 dollars more, period.

I would agree. I think even the Kawi street bikes look a little cheap in the fit and finish. I have rode KTM 2 strokes for the last eight years and they are great bikes but I knew when the prices kept going up and up I would never buy another one. Plus I always wanted the big WR and my 08 seems like a great bike so far. Good luck with your choice.

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 09, 2009 - 07:33 PM

KTM's are really good bikes but a couple hunderd in setup on a WR and it'll be better and you'll still have a couple grand for the tire/race fund :worthy: Quit wasting your time and just pull the trigger on WR! :banana:

• ranger85

Posted July 09, 2009 - 07:38 PM

I've had 3 KTM's, and they've all been great bikes, but for some reason this WR is my favorite, just feels more nimble, and snappy. Or maybe it's cause it cost me like $3000 less?

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 09, 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well it don't matter now cuz since I posted earlier today I have a new WR in the bed of my truck waiting to go riding tomorrow.:worthy:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 09, 2009 - 09:07 PM

If you read up on it, the WR really kind of flys beneath the radar of magazine testers. It never really stands out in any one area, but is very solid all around. I'm actually surprised you even liked the bike bone stock. I think I might have started mine at most before I did all the uncorking. Once on a level playing field with the other bikes, it does real well. Build quality is excellent and it's a very durable sled.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 10, 2009 - 08:31 AM

KTM's are really good bikes but a couple hunderd in setup on a WR and it'll be better and you'll still have a couple grand for the tire/race fund :worthy: Quit wasting your time and just pull the trigger on WR! :banana:

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing wrong or bad at all with the ktm's (except that pathetic excuse for a side stand)

What the ktm does have on the yamaha, however, is a slightly lower seat height and the six speed tranny. I am even ok with the suspension on the ktm's. They just "work", regardless of linkage/no-linkage arguement.

Whenever I ride a KTM, I keep thinking... someday. When I look at the price I think "NEVER". A few hundred bucks into the WR will get you a great setup.

btw... congrats on your new wr :banana:

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 10, 2009 - 03:38 PM

Put about 4 hours on the Wr with my daughter today. Don't regret the purchase at all. I feel like I totally got the right bike for me.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 10, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Put about 4 hours on the Wr with my daughter today. Don't regret the purchase at all. I feel like I totally got the right bike for me.

Congrats, it only gets better too once you have the bike uncorked and set up for you. :worthy:

• DrzDasher

Posted July 10, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I love my wr. Only thing the ktm does better is it has a plate, that is worth the money. Wish my wr was plated.

• AFJ7732W

Posted July 11, 2009 - 03:33 AM

I live in Indiana. My WR is plated. No sweat. Obermeyer's did it for me. Pretty cool.

My only "regret" is that turn signals are hard to keep working in spite of me sealing them as well as possible. Good thing they're cheap. $15 a set. Very easy to swap out.

• Cobalt650

Posted July 11, 2009 - 09:53 AM

I live in Indiana. My WR is plated. No sweat. Obermeyer's did it for me. Pretty cool.

My only "regret" is that turn signals are hard to keep working in spite of me sealing them as well as possible. Good thing they're cheap. $15 a set. Very easy to swap out.

Do you have contact info for Obermeyers? Thanks :worthy:

• DrzDasher

Posted July 11, 2009 - 03:23 PM

In the peoples republik of Kalifornastan, bikes cannot be plated by the dealer legally. So you comments do not really apply.

• Chas_M

Posted July 12, 2009 - 12:49 PM

Unfortunately, KTM's are rather pricey. The price seems to be getting higher and higher every year. But in my mind they are worth every penny if you can afford it or if you can come to grips with the higher price.

I have owned three KTM's, all of which have been extremely reliable. I have owned and enjoyed four past Yamaha's and they too were very reliable bikes. The KTM's over the last six years or so, have for the most part been superior to comparable Yamaha models in most respects.

As soon as any Japanese manufacturer provides a light weight big bore street legal dual sport bike with a six speed wide ratio tranny I'll be the first to sign up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.