Front Fork Rebuild Question!! For those who have done it!!

3 replies to this topic
  • Travisty

Posted July 09, 2009 - 02:54 PM

This is a question for those who have taken the time to actually do a seal replacement and fluid replacement in their front forks.

Someone explain to me this whole .5-1mm thing on the lower adjuster nut and lock nut? It says to hand tighten the lower adjuster and then make sure your gap is .5-1mm then to tighten to so many foot pounds. I assume this is like this for some sort of spacing for the adjuster off the tube. But it says to tighten hand tight first.

So am I supposed to tighten the lower adjuster hand tight and then bring the lock nut up to it? If so then what is the purpose of the .5-1mm measurement.

Check out the picture

Posted Image

• TonyR

Posted July 09, 2009 - 03:24 PM

It is written this way so that you know the Adjuster nut is fully threaded on it's whole lenght, and you are then left with a small gap between it and the lock nut.
You know that the Adjuster nut has not been stopped from threading on by the lock nut being too far down near the end of the rod.
Then when you do the both up to specified torque the gap is gone as the lock nut comes back down to the Adjuster nut.
The size of gap does'nt matter, it's just to ensure the lock nut has'nt stopped the Adjuster nut from being threaded fully on the rod before you tighten them both against each other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2009 - 03:30 PM

Exactly. The adjuster needs to bottom solidly against the damper rod. Then the lock nut is run up and tightened. Remember, that's how it was when you took it apart.

• Travisty

Posted July 09, 2009 - 04:04 PM

thanks guys. So its just over explained for people without common sense.
Looks like I did it correctly

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.