Tire's (What do you put on your 450X)

43 replies to this topic
  • devistating

Posted July 09, 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thought I'd start a thread to see what tires everyone uses...

My favorite set up so far is.

Front = 80/100/21 Dunlop 756F RR (Race Replica) or Pirelli Scorpion XC MS

Rear = 120/100/18 Dunlop 739 Desert AT

I hope this stand will make my next tire change a little nicer...

Posted Image

Posted Image

:worthy:

I tried to start a poll but could'nt?? Is there some way to do that?

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted July 09, 2009 - 12:33 PM

Desert: 739AT rear, 952 front
Dirt: Maxxis IT front and rear
Dual sport: 606 rear and Pirelli Scorpion up front.

• starrman93306

Posted July 09, 2009 - 01:00 PM

I've used a Dunlop trials rear - D803 for a while now. I really like it, but I do ride slow. I've just put a D803 front on & haven't ridden it yet. Any guesses whether I'll like it?

I just took off a Bridgestone front M403 (IT motocross tire) that finally wore out. I really didn't like it, but money doesn't grow on trees.

• timktm

Posted July 09, 2009 - 02:24 PM

Kenda Trak master k760 front and rear. Nice tire changer!

• dakynz

Posted July 16, 2009 - 12:15 PM

in the past:

Front: Maxxis Desert IT
Rear: Maxxis IT

Currently trying:
Front: Pirelli Scorpion XCMH
Rear: Dunlop 739 AT Desert
with this setup I'm also running the nuetech tubliss system both front and rear. First trip is this weekend for some mountain riding.

• Bryce418

Posted July 16, 2009 - 04:41 PM

maxxis si, chomping at the bit to try the si radial!

Bryce

• SHRacing

Posted July 16, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Maxxis ITs For and Aft.:worthy:

• Four-Fifty-X

Posted July 16, 2009 - 07:29 PM

Scorpion medium hard up front
739 AT in back

Can't stand Desert IT on back, but the front was ok at 12 psi or less...

• ghostbuster2

Posted July 16, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thinking of going to a rear 739AT for my next desert trip but am afraid of the problems I might encouter if I have to fix a flat on the trail. Anyone have any experience/tips for changing a tube on the trail? Are these 4 ply tires pretty much flat proof when used with a Bridgestone UHD tube?

• Four-Fifty-X

Posted July 16, 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thinking of going to a rear 739AT for my next desert trip but am afraid of the problems I might encouter if I have to fix a flat on the trail. Anyone have any experience/tips for changing a tube on the trail? Are these 4 ply tires pretty much flat proof when used with a Bridgestone UHD tube?

I hear with three good irons, getting the last bit of the AT over is not that bad.

Maybe consider tubliss? The setup seems to be getting rave reviews--less flats, can run at lower psi, less weight...

• cubera

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Bryce

Very interesting, Bryce. Tell us more about the radial!:worthy:

• dakynz

Posted July 17, 2009 - 06:01 AM

I hear with three good irons, getting the last bit of the AT over is not that bad.

Maybe consider tubliss? The setup seems to be getting rave reviews--less flats, can run at lower psi, less weight...

just switched to tubliss myself. If i had my choice prior I would run the 739 flat until I made it back to the truck. This is not a tire to change on the trail unless you pack the big tire irons.

• hazard88

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:34 PM

Maxxis Desert - IT Rear (120/100-18)
Dunlop D739FA-J Front (80/100-21)

Going to try the D739A/T Rear next.

• cubera

Posted July 17, 2009 - 02:40 PM

just switched to tubliss myself. If i had my choice prior I would run the 739 flat until I made it back to the truck. This is not a tire to change on the trail unless you pack the big tire irons.

I am dyin' to hear what you think of your current set-up:thumbsup: Might be exactly what I go with come September:thumbsup: :worthy: :banana:

• desertrider15

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:25 PM

Front: I use a Pirelli scorpion xcmh
Rear: I use a D739 desert at or Maxxis IT desert at about 10 pounds

• cubera

Posted July 17, 2009 - 06:13 PM

Front: I use a Pirelli scorpion xcmh
Rear: I use a D739 desert at or Maxxis IT desert at about 10 pounds

Hey, Thomas! You should change your handle to Midnight Rambler:thumbsup: I wish I would have been at the last night race to see you hauling ass:thumbsup: :worthy: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• 450boozer

Posted July 19, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Bryce

Running Both Maxxis SI front and rear also and am waiting for them to wear out to try the radials also. I am very impressed with the SI so far. Run harescrambles where terrain changes from dirt-mud-sand-clay-rocks-ruts. Pretty much anything and everything and this tire grips good. I would like a little more aggressive front but cant complain bc it holds good. Starting to chuck a small bit in the back but overall great.

• dakynz

Posted July 20, 2009 - 05:51 AM

I am dyin' to hear what you think of your current set-up:thumbsup: Might be exactly what I go with come September:thumbsup: :worthy: :banana:

Ran 140 miles this weekend in the mountains. Lots of rocks at high speed the first day. Second day was muddy and a difficult ride in the rocks.

Tubliss was great. Ran the rear at 14 lbs but started to drop the pressure down and ended up running about 10 all weekend. Front tire started at 17 lbs and kept dropping that till I got to 15 lbs. I could definitely go even lower on the front but the rocks at speed can definitely mangle a rim.

The inner bladder of the tubliss would lose about 5 lbs overnight so I would recheck it in the mornings and get it aired up. The tubliss has my vote.

• detox

Posted July 20, 2009 - 12:13 PM

It's good the hear the good things about the Tubliss, I'm thinking of trying them myself.

Maxis Desert IT front and rear with Bridgston Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Those tubes are really heavy, I want tubliss.

Riding in Utah deserts and mountains. The tires seem pretty good, but not excellent, at everything. I suppose that's what you're asking for in an IT. The rear seems a little slippery on slick rock, but maybe that's my poor throttle control. Good tire life.

• desertrider15

Posted July 20, 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hey, Thomas! You should change your handle to Midnight Rambler:thumbsup: I wish I would have been at the last night race to see you hauling ass:thumbsup: :worthy: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Haha yea I had alot fun that night...going to the gym really does help.lol are u coming out to the September night race?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

450X Graphic Kits by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 19 replies
Forums
Photo

Dual sport project by joe reed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking for a light dirt bike (street only) by cowalla

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

This is the way to start an awesome port remodel. by Jeff@bigborethumpers

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • Hot  57 replies
Forums
Photo

Time for a new bike! by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.