Cuts out in deep water

4 replies to this topic
  • Bogrocker

Posted July 09, 2009 - 06:34 AM

On two occasions when I have ridden through deep water (covering the lower part of the engine), my WR has cut out and then refused to start for maybe 20 minutes or thereabouts. Both times I entered the water with a bit of speed. Any ideas why this happens? Am I submerging breather pipes that could cause the problem?

Help would be appreciated as I hate getting my feet wet :worthy:

• Asgeir

Posted July 09, 2009 - 08:26 AM

There are 4 breathing tubes coming from the carburator. Two on each side.

One from each side must be re-routed further up in the frame.

Best is to route them pass the upper shock mount and under the seat in front of the battery.

Some earlier WR´s also have their valve cover breathing hoses originally routed down to the low part of the frame. This tube should be routed to the intake box via fittings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 09, 2009 - 08:40 AM

There are 4 breathing tubes coming from the carburator. Two on each side.

One from each side must be re-routed further up in the frame.

Best is to route them pass the upper shock mount and under the seat in front of the battery.

Some earlier WR´s also have their valve cover breathing hoses originally routed down to the low part of the frame. This tube should be routed to the intake box via fittings.

:worthy:

I had the same problem and this will solve it. My bike is practically a submarine now.

• Bogrocker

Posted July 10, 2009 - 01:56 AM

Thanks - will try this and see how it goes. Wonder why they don't route them like this in the first instance?

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 10, 2009 - 06:45 AM

I had the exact same problem a couple weeks ago, the bike wouldn't restart. After leaning the bike over and leting some fresh gas flow out of the carb it fired right up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.