Dynatek ignition for TPS stutter?

104 replies to this topic
  • kinraw

Posted October 03, 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hell ya, thanks Sledfreak! just dialed in curve 3 and very nice - and responsive!! so far no stutter, but will keep posted after my next ride in a few weeks.

fyi, I re-connected the tps, put the Air Cut Valve back to stock, so now the only mods i have done is a pipe, the gray wire cut and the dynotek. Running great this am.

• sledfreak76

Posted October 06, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Im back with more info about the dynatek stutter fix. i checked out the tps calibration feature screen and found the tps was nearly 1 volt off across the board! it showed more in the calibration value than what was reported live from idle too wot. i had already ran the bike previously for 90 miles with the dynatek, and the stutter is gone and had more juice. so back to the calibration screen, i went ahead and calibrated the tps, it went well. i then rode the bike for a few miles, and oh wow! what a great boost! again this little black box rocks. it also has a diagnostics screen which shows how many starts, wot throttle total time and peak rpm at wot, a graph that shows how much time is spent at 1000 rpm intervals, and max. rpm. so next step, im doing 1 more big ride befor i put the hi comp piston in, and i will keep all posted on my progress!

2005 wr450f GYTR exhaust, w jet kit.
air inj. removed, grey wire cut
throttle stop removed
dynatek fs ignition
air box modified

• ASternad

Posted October 07, 2010 - 03:53 PM

Sledfreak - does the programing kit work via USB?
I have a Dynatek on my 09 WR450 and it fix the studder, thus far I have not made it past setting #1.

• sledfreak76

Posted October 08, 2010 - 04:28 AM

hello Asternad, yes the usb programmer works with the dynatek fs yamaha ignition box. its what im using, and its worked without a problem!

• kinraw

Posted October 13, 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'm cured!! Took the bike out to the desert this past weekend and low and behold the stutter is gone! The Dynatek FS fixed the problem. I'm running curve 3.

I plugged the tps back in and put the Air Cut Valv mod back to stock.

• tomerb

Posted June 06, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Will the dynatek DFS7-23p work on a 2011?

• GlennR

Posted June 07, 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'm thinking about one of these for my 08'. Seems like the only thing that I have heard about that cures the stutter. Can't believe Yamaha didn't cure it years ago!!

• tomerb

Posted August 09, 2012 - 04:40 PM

The Dynatek DFS7-23p will work on a 2011!!

• GlennR

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:15 AM

The Dynatek DFS7-23p will work on a 2011!!

Tomber,

It's interesting that you have both a 2011 & a 2012. My 2008 gets only about 30 mpg, which seems low, but isn't uncommon for a WR450 from what I have gathered here.

I'm curious about the fuel milage of your 2011 before & after installing the Dynatek. Did it improve? Also, how is the fuel milage on the 2012? Seems FI would have to help.

• GlennR

Posted August 28, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes! The DynaTek does CURE the TPS stutter issue. The difference was amazing, totally transformed the bike. I had gotten used to the crappy throttle response, but geeze! I didn't realize just how bad it was. I was always thinking the WR450 just wasn't "good on the street, because it's too high strung being a race bike", and I just had to deal with it. But it was only the ignition!?

The DynaTek also makes the bike start & restart almost like magic. It's instantanious, almost feels like it starts "before I press the button". Yamaha should have bought or developed this technology. It's crazy that an issue this bad has to corrected by an aftermarket gizmo.

Too bad it cost $300, but I didn't have to pay a mechanic for hours & hours of scratching his head and then saying "sorry dude. I don't know what the problem is."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firejosh

Posted August 28, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Glenn, thanks fours the heads up on the dynatek. I am this close to buying one if these for my plated 2005.

• GlennR

Posted August 28, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Glenn, thanks fours the heads up on the dynatek. I am this close to buying one if these for my plated 2005.

If you bike's stuttering like mine did, just do yourself a favor and click that "buy" button. The price stings, but it really worked on mine.

• firejosh

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hey Glenn,

Just a few quick questions for you. What setting are you using(1-4)? Did you also buy the programming cd for it? How was the install? Any pointers would be helpful.

My last ride was enough for me to drop 3 hundred and order one of these.

Thanks

• GlennR

Posted September 08, 2012 - 06:57 AM

It's an easy install. You just unplug the stock's 3 connectors, and then replace it with the DynaTek. It has an extra cord that has the switch on it that is long enough to route to the air vent hole above the air filter cover, so I let it hang out there while I tried each of the 4 positions. Number 3 was the only one that helped, it's very obvious.

I bought the unit slightly used from tomerb, who had it on his 2011 for a few weeks before buying a new 2012. He offered to let me test it before buying which was a generous offer that I really appreciated, otherwise I would still be "on the fence". He said position #3 worked best for him too.

The programing stuff is extra, and the instruction sheet says you need to be experienced to use it. It might be benefitial, but I'm just happy that the bike is fixed and don't care to try for anything "better".

• stevethe

Posted September 08, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yep well worth the money. I'm running one on the supermoto bike. However the 07' dirt one hasn't had the problem. Even when ridden on the street. Might just be luck of the draw.

• MaxPower

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:37 AM

300 is a lot when you are being hit with bills from every side. But on the scheme of things, 300 dollars is cheap. That's less than a pipe . Other than a Black Ops Moto ignition coil there are not too many things we can do to our bikes to get a jump in performane for that money. Compared to other motor sports, 300 won't even buy you a sit in the seat of a off road race truck or stock car.

• firejosh

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:01 PM

So I just put in my new DynaTek ignition and found position 3 to run best for my bike. I still have some stutter at and around 5000rpm cruising easily down the street. I guess I need to get better understanding of jetting, pipes, and everything else that could cause my 05 to stutter. I am going to hit the forums now and do some reading, and some more reading, and some more reading. Too frustrated to ride

• stevethe

Posted September 17, 2012 - 06:34 PM

So I just put in my new DynaTek ignition and found position 3 to run best for my bike. I still have some stutter at and around 5000rpm cruising easily down the street. I guess I need to get better understanding of jetting, pipes, and everything else that could cause my 05 to stutter. I am going to hit the forums now and do some reading, and some more reading, and some more reading. Too frustrated to ride

Your right there where it disappears. Down shift a gear.

• firejosh

Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:33 PM

So update time...I threw my FMF powercore back on. I tried running my stock pipe to keep things a little quieter. The combination FMF poewrcore, and Dynatek seem to be what my bike want. Now little to no stutter is noticeable. Time to remove AIS.

• Parx_400

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do either of the power maps raise the rev limit like the vortex does?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.