Is the wr the best 450 ??

10 replies to this topic
  • Crash.

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:58 AM

WR450F Husky TE450 KTM EXC450 CRF450 R or X

I currently own a wr250r, its a nice bike but i want more power and lighter weight (its 300lbs). Im kinda partal to yamaha but im trying to be open minded and get a bike that will suit my needs regardless of the brand.

Im looking to buy one of these bikes for dualsporting but im having a really hard time(ill plate the wr). Im up for suggestions on other than the 450 engines. I just think a 450 will be all the power ill ever need in the woods and enuf to get me around the street.

I ride tight technical woods, hill climbs and lots of mud, and of course high way and commuting.

weight 200lbs
height 5'8''
inseam 30''
money 5k would prefer under 4k

Must haves:
---- kick and electric start
---- Fully adjustable suspension, Hi and Low speed damping is a bonus
---- The lower the seat hight the better
---- Light weight as possible
---- 6 gear would be really nice but not absolutly nessissary (nice for highway)
---- Fuel injection nice but not nessicary
---- must be tank like in that it can take abuse when it comes to crashing
---- bullet proof engine is a +
---- must be all around reliable
---- I prefer a bike with torque and better power down low

I have been doing plenty of reserch on all these bikes especially the wr but there is just so much info and i need help

you guys are great thanks for all the help in advance

• PowerBomb

Posted July 08, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like the WR meets all your criteria except being lighter weight.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 08, 2009 - 11:40 AM

They are all great bikes with the Husky and KTM having the advantage of being street legal stock. Not sure how easy it is to plate a bike in your area, that counts for a lot.

I'm a Honda guy, but went with the WR for the following reasons whether real or perceived. This was compared to the 450X only as I had no intention of spending the required amount for the others and don't consider them that much better, if better at all.

1. Valve train durability . This may be perceived, but perception is important to me. You'll read lots of stories about super valvetrain longevity on the WR's. Probably more so than any other brand. They are obviously doing something right here.
2. Not a big fan of perimeter frames
3. One engine oil reservoir. How many times do we have to read posts about "where did my tranny oil go". If you read up on it, in most cases there is a seal problem and it is accumulating on the crank side and disappearing from the tranny side or vice versa. I know it's the future trend, but I've never had a problem with both oils being in the same sump.
4. WR has a more trail friendly suspension (more plush) whereas the X is better for whoops as stock. I ride more desert whoops than tight trails, but this is still what I wanted.
5. WR comes with Protapers with a decent bend, X has 7/8" bars.
6. WR has a real nice computer where the X is just a cheap tripmeter as the XR's had. And this computer is better than any Trailtech computer you could buy for the X.
7. Skid plate is decent on the WR and I believe is something you'll have to buy with the X.
8. I've seen too many pictures right here on TT of 450X internals where the cam chain has broken the guide at the bottom of the engine cases and sent shrapnel through the engine.

Again, not trying to bash the X as it would still be my 2nd choice, but there was just enough things I felt more comfortable with on the WR to put it in the garage. When I bought my '08, it also was about $600 cheaper than the best deal I could get on an '08 450X at the same point in time. For me, it just made sense.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 08, 2009 - 12:38 PM

should I answer this twice?

I'm from PA and have a wr450. I'm 5'8" 30" inseam and weigh 155 lbs and in pretty good shape. This bike would be a handful for me in the sloppy wet muddy forests of PA. I do ride technnical terrain in Montana but it's very different than Pa. If you want a light trail bike do not buy this bike. If I moved back to Pa, the bike I would ride would be a 200-250 2 stroke. If I were to buy a dual sport I wouldn't buy wr. My friends DRZ makes for a much better dual sport bike than my wr. My wr will eat up his bike on the trails. The 450 burns up tight, muddy, snotty type tires on the road in a heart beat. If you can plate it to transfer from trail to trail on a road(fairly short distance) is one thing, in my opinion, it does not make a good daily commuter that likes tight technical woods riding. Good luckk!

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:03 PM

We have had them all,for a water pumper the wr450 is best.All the other's too much work and parts to keep running.Dont want to knock other bikes,but since we ride all the time.Less work more ride time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted July 09, 2009 - 02:52 AM

IN my opinion, I would find new 06 07 wr450f, just read a post that a fellow member paid $4250 otd for an 06. Chop and mod the suspension and start from there? as the pocket book begins to open up -- baja on-road kit, pipe it, plate it. Not shure how the DMV works in your state in regards to plating an off-road bike? maybe a ktm would be the way to go -- but their so pricy.

• Crash.

Posted July 09, 2009 - 10:31 AM

If you want a light trail bike do not buy this bike. If I moved back to Pa, My friends DRZ makes for a much better dual sport bike than my wr.

You have to remember im coming from a 295 lbs bike that i ride tight stuff in the wr is 270 so it should be even easier.
the drz is 310 lbs top heavy and has worse suspension the only thing i can think it may be better at is street rideing

my number one thing above all else is duribility next is weight

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 09, 2009 - 10:36 AM

You have to remember im coming from a 295 lbs bike that i ride tight stuff in the wr is 270 so it should be even easier.
the drz is 310 lbs top heavy and has worse suspension the only thing i can think it may be better at is street rideing

Are you sure you can get a wr450 street legalized in PA. I would cover that first. DRZ Rides better on the gravel roads/streets yes. In short the WR doesn't shine on the road. Mine is plated w/ a street legal kit. I never ride it on the road unless it's short and i usually just ride the zuma instead.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 09, 2009 - 10:47 AM

The KTM is not that much lighter than the WR and we have to remember that if we're comparing apples to apples, it (450XCRW) is missing some things like a skid plate, radiator overflow bottle, lights, etc. If you add those things, it comes very close to the WR weight. If you add street legal components to the WR, I would imagine it being very close in weight to the 450EXC, maybe a couple more pounds. Weightwise, there is not an earth shattering difference between most 450's.

Your #1 requirement (durability) says Yamaha. KTM has also been known for pretty darn good engine durability lately as well.

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 09, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Buy a WR from Ohio and bam you got your licensce plate because it'll transfer to a "motorcycle" title instead of an "offroad" title. Its up to you if you want to worry about signals and passing inspection. My riding is 99% offroad so I don't worry about being 100% compliant, the plate hanging on the fender is good enough for no one to bother me.

• blackdog9

Posted July 12, 2009 - 10:28 AM

I own a 07 WRF 450 and a 07 EXC-F 250. If you ask me, for a single multi-purpose bike, I would go KTM EXC 450.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.