Is the wr the best 450 ??

2 replies to this topic
  • Crash.

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:20 AM

wr450f or husky te450 or ktm exc450

Yamaha WR450F Husky TE450 KTM EXC450

I currently own a wr250r, its a nice bike but i want more power and lighter weight.

Im looking to buy one of these bikes for dualsporting but im having a really hard time(ill plate the wr). Im up for suggestions on other than the 450 engines. I just thing a 450 will be all the power ill ever need in the woods and enuf to get me around the street.

I ride tight technical woods, hill climbs and lots of mud, and of course high way and commuting.

weight 200lbs
height 5'8''
inseam 30''
money 5k would prefer under 4k

Must haves:
---- kick and electric start
---- Fully adjustable suspension including Hi and Low speed damping
---- The lower the seat hight the better
---- Light weight as possible (if i went with the wr it would be a 2005 for this reason)
---- 6 gear would be really nice but not absolutly nessissary (nice for highway)
---- Fuel injection nice but not nessicary
---- must be tank like in that it can take abuse when it comes to crashing
---- must have bullet proof engine
---- must be reliable

you guys are great thanks for all the help in advance

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted July 08, 2009 - 11:35 AM

wr450f or husky te450 or ktm exc450

Yamaha WR450F Husky TE450 KTM EXC450

I currently own a wr250r, its a nice bike but i want more power and lighter weight.

Im looking to buy one of these bikes for dualsporting but im having a really hard time(ill plate the wr). Im up for suggestions on other than the 450 engines. I just thing a 450 will be all the power ill ever need in the woods and enuf to get me around the street.

I ride tight technical woods, hill climbs and lots of mud, and of course high way and commuting.

weight 200lbs
height 5'8''
inseam 30''
money 5k would prefer under 4k

Must haves:
---- kick and electric start
---- Fully adjustable suspension including Hi and Low speed damping
---- The lower the seat hight the better
---- Light weight as possible (if i went with the wr it would be a 2005 for this reason)
---- 6 gear would be really nice but not absolutly nessissary (nice for highway)
---- Fuel injection nice but not nessicary
---- must be tank like in that it can take abuse when it comes to crashing
---- must have bullet proof engine
---- must be reliable

you guys are great thanks for all the help in advance

Honestly the trans is the best on the KTM for true dual sporting. The trans on the Husky is merely adaquate for connecting trails with service roads. The WR trans is somewhere in the middle.

The '05 and '06 WR weigh the same (they're practically the same thing). Yamaha was misleading with their published dry weights. The '07+ bikes are a hair lighter but carry their weight significantly better IMO. The husky is heavier than the WR and the KTM is lighter.

All three bikes are tall. The husky is the tallest, the WR is second tallest, and the KTM is the shortest depending on the year. The older ones with the RFS motor are shorter and the new ones are about as tall as a WR. I have a 30" inseam as well and the Husky at stock height is a bit taller than I am comfortable with.

As much as I'd like to recomend the WR I think a '05-'07 KTM EXC your best bet. Its the lightest of the bunch and the lowest. Its got a solid engine/trans combo that is proven very durable if maintained well. Aftermarket support for those things is huge.

• redrider58

Posted July 08, 2009 - 08:17 PM

i have a lot of friends who have ktm 525/530's all of them are plated and are great trail bikes.

have 6 gears
e start and kick
a very decent motor in terms of reliablity
only things that break on the bike is that they bend the bars from crashing. (so i would call it a tank)
low(er) seat height
not sure on the weight, but it is not bad when i pick there bikes up (with a desert tank, and all the armor known to man)

but no EFI...but you wouldn't want efi, it is 500$ for the program to change the mappping on it. im personally not a fan of EFI. i was, but after researching it more and more......i was not a fan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.