Just got my 09 LE 450 home

9 replies to this topic
  • Chop Shop

Posted July 08, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Reading the manual it calls for a min of 95 octane??? Not that it's a problem since I use VP fuel anyway.. Just thought it was interesting that it called for a fuel with that much octane.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:52 AM

The point you are missing is that the requirement is for 95 Research octane. This equates to a standard US Anti-Knock Index of around 90~91, or a Motor octane of about 87. Pump gas in the US is measured by Anti-Knock Index (Research Octane + Motor Octane divided by two), and any pump premium of 91 or higher is more than adequate.

• ZMoney520

Posted July 08, 2009 - 11:35 AM

I use whatever is the highest at the pump. It works fine. By the way, your avatar picture looks a lot like my bike, my bike stand, my basement, and my cub cadet lawn mower. What gives? LOL

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 08, 2009 - 12:28 PM

:worthy: classic...
Hey, I just brought my new bike home...Check it out:
Posted Image

• Chop Shop

Posted July 08, 2009 - 12:57 PM

I use whatever is the highest at the pump. It works fine. By the way, your avatar picture looks a lot like my bike, my bike stand, my basement, and my cub cadet lawn mower. What gives? LOL

It is your bike.... I was getting harassed since I had pictures of my Honda. I have waited 2 weeks to get mine home. Will have my own pictures as soon as Decal Works gets my backgrounds done... Its very close to my 714 btw....lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chop Shop

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:05 PM

Thanks Gray..... R+M/2.... didn't even think that the manual would not use those terms..... lol

• ZMoney520

Posted July 08, 2009 - 01:16 PM

It is your bike.... I was getting harassed since I had pictures of my Honda. I have waited 2 weeks to get mine home. Will have my own pictures as soon as Decal Works gets my backgrounds done... Its very close to my 714 btw....lol

I don't mind at all. It just caught me off guard. Too funny and I am honored you picked my bike as a temp avatar. Enjoy your new ride.:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2009 - 02:02 PM

..... R+M/2.... didn't even think that the manual would not use those terms..... lol

Well, they might have if the manual had been more thoroughly edited for the US market, but I'm satisfied if it's just readable. :worthy:

The research method produces the biggest numbers for any level of true detonation resistance, and so naturally the marketing people at the oil companies like that better, since they made a bigger deal of octane than they should have, anyway. Consumer protectionists in the US said it was misleading, and there is also a sound scientific argument that the Motor method is a truer measure of what a real-world engine actually has to put up with. This lead to the creation of the Anti-Knock index here in the US (R+M/2). Most of the rest of the world still goes by Research numbers, so that's why the manual says that.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 09, 2009 - 11:12 AM

I don't mind at all. It just caught me off guard. Too funny and I am honored you picked my bike as a temp avatar. Enjoy your new ride.:worthy:

Completely off topic ZMoney......I enjoyed your "Chest Cam Video" from Bremen several weeks ago......nice riding BTW:thumbsup:

• ZMoney520

Posted July 09, 2009 - 05:39 PM

Completely off topic ZMoney......I enjoyed your "Chest Cam Video" from Bremen several weeks ago......nice riding BTW:thumbsup:

Thanks Ga426!:worthy: I am going to get some footage from Loretta Lynn's also. NOt sure I will be able to get the chest cam video with the racing bib though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.