just a quick question

8 replies to this topic
  • rogo

Posted July 07, 2009 - 08:48 PM

The search option for this forum doesn't seem to be available, so i need to ask a question that has probably been asked a few times before.

I have a WR400 2000 model and coolant has started to leak from the weep hole under the water pump. What do I need to change? Is it just the outside O-ring or are there others?

Cheers
Dan

• MaxPower

Posted July 07, 2009 - 09:25 PM

[COLOR="Green"]water pump seal
Its a easy fix

[/COLOR]

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 07, 2009 - 09:26 PM

The search option for this forum doesn't seem to be available, so i need to ask a question that has probably been asked a few times before.

I have a WR400 2000 model and coolant has started to leak from the weep hole under the water pump. What do I need to change? Is it just the outside O-ring or are there others?

Cheers
Dan

You need to change the water pump seal. Does it leak when the motor is cold?
If so, don't wait for catastrophic failure.

• rogo

Posted July 07, 2009 - 09:48 PM

thanks for your help guys

Cheers
Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rogo

Posted July 07, 2009 - 09:54 PM

just had a look at the diagram, are you referring to the oil seals or the large O-ring for the housing?

• matt4x4

Posted July 08, 2009 - 04:13 AM

If the shaft is scored - replace it as well - I would hazard to guess you'll need to change it.
To do so, you need to drain coolant (lowest bolt - the one with the crush washer), drain oil, remove water pump cover and case cover on right side.
Hold inner portion of shaft with a wrench and remove impeller (normal thread, not reverse), spin off impeller, pull shaft out towards rear, pop seals out using a small flat head screw driver - being careful not to score the seat surface.
You might need to replace the bearing as well. (I would).

Parts needed:
Definitely need:
2 Seals
impeller Shaft

Likely also need:
Water pump gasket (should be able to save this though)
Right side case cover gasket (chances are slim you will be able to save this)
Bearing
Some people also replace the oring on the water pipe but you probably won't need to.

• rogo

Posted July 08, 2009 - 04:34 AM

would a scored shaft cause the leak or is that related to the main O-ring? I'm learning as i go here so bare with me!

Also i just priced up a new O-ring today and they wanted $40AUS (about $30 US) so do you think i could use the existing O-ring and apply some gasket silicone to it?

• naroy2

Posted July 08, 2009 - 04:52 PM

would a scored shaft cause the leak or is that related to the main O-ring? I'm learning as i go here so bare with me!

Also i just priced up a new O-ring today and they wanted $40AUS (about $30 US) so do you think i could use the existing O-ring and apply some gasket silicone to it?

WHen I done this, I orderd all my parts from TT and it was less than $50 I think. Impeller shaft, bearing, and all o rings. Personally, I would go all new and then you shouldn't have to worry for another 3,000 miles..or more

• TommyTheKid

Posted July 08, 2009 - 07:24 PM

For what its worth, I beat the holy hell out of my bike, and mine needed replaced right around 10k miles. Same story, except, as I had an extended warranty, it was all "covered" (but at least I know from reading here that the repair should be done as part of an oil and coolant change :worthy:

~tommy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.