Gray wire on wr 426

2 replies to this topic
  • ryme

Posted September 16, 2002 - 05:18 PM

I have a 2001 wr 426. What happens when I cut the "gray wire" everyone talks about?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tk421

Posted September 16, 2002 - 06:05 PM

The grey wire enables the US made WR’s to pass emissions. By cutting the grey wire, the bike will probably not pass a Federal emissions sound test...whoooo caaaares. :)
It will most likely improve performance, and won’t harm the bike. When you do this mod (and by all means try it) try not to cut the wire, just pull it from the connector and use heat shrink to cap it off.
Much more to read if you use the SEARCH and enter grey wire.
Good Luck! :D

• Steve_WR400F_#61t

Posted September 17, 2002 - 07:08 PM

Not too much difference in performance when the gray wire is cut. What I got on my 400 was a tiny bit more more bottom end. The biggest difference was that it completely got rid of that 35-40 mph surge of power in 3rd gear. What used to happen was something like a sudden pull when hammering about half-way up a hill. Now the pull or hit starts earlier in the rpm range & isn't so sudden.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.