odometer reset?

8 replies to this topic
  • 4blue

Posted July 07, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Could someone tell me if and when I need to disconnect the battery on my WR 450 whether it will re-set the odometer or not. It seems that I've heard that it will but I like keeping track of the miles, so I hope not.:worthy:

• tribalbc

Posted July 07, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Well on my 07 it still keeps track of total miles when disconnected.

I've heard others say different though :worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 07, 2009 - 08:35 PM

IIRC the canadian WRs are street legal? Therefore by law the odometer cannot reset.

I know for a fact the US version will reset if the battery is disconnected. The night I brought my bike home it had .2 miles on the both tripmeters. The subframe had to go (battery disconnect) and when everything was put back together both tripmeters said "0.0" on them.

• SXP

Posted July 07, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Also, don't the US meters only go up to three digits (999 miles) before resetting to zero? You will have to keep track of how many times it has gone around in addition to the mileage indicated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted July 08, 2009 - 04:59 AM

My Canadian '07 goes to 5 digits (km's) on the total mileage accumulated and doesn't reset when the battery is disconnected. The trip counters only go to 3 digits and they seem to reset with the battery being disconnected. I have to disagree with JSanfillipo, as the Canadian WR's are not street legal in Canada. ( at least not in Alberta ). I have heard of a few getting plated, but only due to a "less than up to speed" registry agent not checking the info correctly. -- WR Dave

• tribalbc

Posted July 08, 2009 - 05:36 AM

IIRC the canadian WRs are street legal? Therefore by law the odometer cannot reset.

I know for a fact the US version will reset if the battery is disconnected. The night I brought my bike home it had .2 miles on the both tripmeters. The subframe had to go (battery disconnect) and when everything was put back together both tripmeters said "0.0" on them.

Not street legal off the showroom floor in Canada.
The 2 short trips reset but the overall mileage stays, on my bike anyways.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:16 AM

Not street legal off the showroom floor in Canada.
The 2 short trips reset but the overall mileage stays, on my bike anyways.

Ok I didn't know for sure thus the question mark. Thats for clearing that up.

I wish we had the overal mileage function here on the U.S. bikes.

• KennyMc

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:24 AM

Ok I didn't know for sure thus the question mark. Thats for clearing that up.

I wish we had the overal mileage function here on the U.S. bikes.

+1 :worthy: :banana::banana: :banana: :banana:

• SXP

Posted July 08, 2009 - 10:53 AM

+1 :worthy: :banana::banana: :banana: :banana:

The Vapor will take care of that. Plus, it has some other neat features - tach, coolant temp...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.