Need some help ASAP...WR 450 Conversion?

11 replies to this topic
  • Cooksend

Posted July 07, 2009 - 02:56 PM

O.K. everyone I have just retired the DR350 and found a 2003 WR450 with 29 miles. I already have someone to help me plate the bike I just need to know pluses and minus's to different Dual Sport Conversion kits. I would like to keep the stock tailight and headlight for now.
What kits do you all recomend for a good clean look and easy install?
I do not want to do the stator mod if not needed. What kits can I use and not need to upgrade my stator?
This bike seems extremely loud for stock. Too loud to bang around town on. What should I be looking for on the stock exhaust that may be missing or how can I quite it down without breaking the bank?

What other advise can you give from other people that have done this already?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Cooksend

Posted July 11, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Come on folks... Someone has to have an opinion on this! Has anyone used the Kit from Dual Sport America? Anyone???

• frankramo777

Posted July 11, 2009 - 12:28 PM

I did the Rycomoto Barely legal kit on my 09

http://rycomoto.com/WRDualSport.aspx

install was straight forward, great quality kit!
I also did the starter switch that Roy offers:
on/off & start on one switch, it eliminates the stock starter and kill buttons, and disables the grey ignition switch, save the led function..
i still have a few things left to do like a chain guard and dot tires, but its pretty much there..

• Brock_Landers

Posted July 11, 2009 - 04:13 PM

Read through this thread and the links on the thread.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=802280
before buying from Dual Sport America.
Or NOT buying from them i should say

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2009 - 04:36 PM

Come on folks... Someone has to have an opinion on this! Has anyone used the Kit from Dual Sport America? Anyone???

...patience is a virtue.

Stock bikes are nearly silent. Why don't you tell us how the bike is set up, as a stock bike cannot be loud unless modified.

• BEAN329

Posted July 11, 2009 - 06:53 PM

...patience is a virtue.

Stock bikes are nearly silent. Why don't you tell us how the bike is set up, as a stock bike cannot be loud unless modified.

I used the stock headlight and tail light, just added some hand controls for turn signals and horn. bought a set of DOT knobbies and fabricated brackets for stock DOT turn signals. The stock exhaust is not that loud , your previos owner may have taken the end off the silencer. do you have any pics of the silencer ????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 11, 2009 - 11:41 PM

www.trickdualsport.com is what I use. It does not require any mods to the stator. I installed it myself in a couple of hours and I am NOT a master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

Call them and ask for a setup that will use your existing yamaha wr headlight, because its pretty good for a street legal kit.

As a second choice, you could go to www.procycle.us and get everything that you need.

But try Dale at TrickDualSport first. You'll be well taken care of.

• denny49

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:13 AM

O.K. everyone I have just retired the DR350 and found a 2003 WR450 with 29 miles. I already have someone to help me plate the bike I just need to know pluses and minus's to different Dual Sport Conversion kits. I would like to keep the stock tailight and headlight for now.
What kits do you all recomend for a good clean look and easy install?
I do not want to do the stator mod if not needed. What kits can I use and not need to upgrade my stator?
This bike seems extremely loud for stock. Too loud to bang around town on. What should I be looking for on the stock exhaust that may be missing or how can I quite it down without breaking the bank?

What other advise can you give from other people that have done this already?

Thanks in advance!!!

.....Try Sicass racing....they have a kit for $265.00...they are great for Mich....Denny

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:27 AM

I second the www.trickdualsport.com unit I have had mine on my 03 WR 450 since February of 2003 and have not had any problems. Dales kits are far superior to any of the others.:worthy: Like Maurice Dorris said, no stator mods and the brain is the size of a cigarette pack that attaches to the back of the stock headlight/number plate. If you have questions call Dale at the number shown on the website.
Jim

• crashnburn88

Posted February 14, 2011 - 06:17 PM

I'm looking at a 2003 wr 450 that is in great condition with a few extras like aftermarket header, exhaust, bark busters, etc. and I am really interested in it. I have an 08 yamaha XT 250 dualsport and was hoping to convert this wr450. Hopefully with the intentions of replacing my 250 dualsport. Something with a little more power. I do not have a problem with the conversion kit or making the bike street legal. If worse comes to worst, I work in a machine shop and can make virtually anything I need for the bike (Given a print to go by or reverse engineered drawing of my own). Anyways, I live in North Carolina and am not entirely sure on what the details are for getting a title for a bike that does not have one. I know when you buy a bike at the dealership brand new, they don't always have titles with them. The guy that owns this bike now said he bought it from the original owner who was the son of the dealership owner where the bike was sold from. So there is no title for the bike. Would I be able to get a title for the bike so that I could tag it for the road, or would I have to take it to Tennessee or somewhere where you would have to have a title for it. I'm just kind of lost on if I want the bike or not. I definitely do if I can get it street legal. If not I'm goin with another two stroke racin bike. Any suggestions? Thanks, Josh

• gsa102

Posted February 15, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Try repeating your post in the reigonal forum for that area. Somebody local should know how to license it, if it can be done in NC. Go back to the dealer and ask for the title, he may still have it, or can get you the info to get it. He would have no reason not to transfer it to you, but may not do it for free, and you may have to pay sales tax on some value. Make sure you have a bill of sale before you go to the dealer.

• MaxPower

Posted February 16, 2011 - 06:41 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have a Dakar Dual sport kit . I have been unhappy with the kit but even more unhappy with customer support.
Get the Trick Dual Sport Kit. [/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.