06 vs. 07+?

8 replies to this topic
  • YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted July 07, 2009 - 12:38 PM

I never grew up around dirt bikes, I had only riden a dirt bike twice in my life, each time ended very quickly with me crashing. several years ago I bought an 06 YZ450 new. I am a carefull rider, choosing caution over bravery in most situations.

I have this rediculous notion in my head that I MUST have a newer, aluminum frame bike because it is better, and will be better for me because I am inexperienced, etc. I want to get a more desert friendly (green sticker or plated) bike and focus on getting better and more aggressive.

how much different are the steel frames from the aluminum frames? is there that big of a difference that I would be missing out on if I could have either?

I know there are plenty of pre-07 bikes out there that are bad A$$, what is wrong with me?

also do the pre-07 have the oil in the frame or was thta just the 426's?

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 10, 2009 - 07:04 AM

All pre-07' WR's carry the oil in the frame, it basically acts as an oil cooler to keep temps down. Unfortunately I've never ridden an alluminum frame WR but from what I've read they do handle better and feel less top heavy when riding. I feel there wouldn't be a big enough difference for you to take advantage of and make you a better rider. Going down to a light 250f or 2stroke would be significant enough to potentially help you though.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 10, 2009 - 07:49 AM

All pre-07' WR's carry the oil in the frame, it basically acts as an oil cooler to keep temps down.

I highly doubt that especilly since the front fender blocks most of the frame. Even if it does cool the oil, I bet its not enough to make any significant difference. (Just my opinion :worthy: )

how much different are the steel frames from the aluminum frames? is there that big of a difference that I would be missing out on if I could have either?

Nope...pretty much just looks :banana:

from what I've read they do handle better and feel less top heavy when riding.

I have owned both an 06 and 08 WR (both setup the exact same) and I can ride them back to back and honestly say the difference is nothing to get excited about.

• Lennie

Posted July 10, 2009 - 10:38 AM

Alloy frame bikes feel narrower and lighter. My new standard alloy frame WR is nearly as fast as my 04 WR with jet kit + full exhaust + the usual mods. I am looking foward to getting the mods on it, it should be really good then!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 10, 2009 - 11:57 AM

Alloy frame bikes feel narrower and lighter

yet when comparing the steel framed bike to the aluminum framed bike there is only 1.1 pound difference :worthy:

Posted Image

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 10, 2009 - 12:05 PM

wrestling 248 lbs or 249 lbs is still wrestling 250lbs in my book.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 10, 2009 - 12:47 PM

wrestling 248 lbs or 249 lbs is still wrestling 250lbs in my book.

I heard that...the biggest improve me I saw in weight savings was when I built and installed a K2 battery (its a home built TurnTech battery)

I saved almost 5 pound up top :worthy:

(Note: This was not the final product)
Posted Image

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 10, 2009 - 06:02 PM

The steel frame absolutely helps disipate heat from the oil and engine. You may not get a lot of air flow across it but theres a lot of steel to draw the heat out of the oil. This is part of why these engines are so durable, oil temps are a good bit lower compared to a CRF. Yamaha was wise enough to put an oil reservior on the alluminum framed bikes for increased capacity and cooling.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 11, 2009 - 12:30 AM

Desert Rat,

If it were me I would dump the YZ and get a WR, not for the supper bitchen aluminum frame but for the green sticker. I don't race so I don't need a red sticker bike. Some will say that it is too hot to ride when red stickers are band but I just rode today with my daughter on my new WR at Stoddard Wells and it was great. Not too hot at all and in fact a bit over case.

If I had a red sticker bike it would pretty much be parked for half the year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.