Yz426f Question

6 replies to this topic
  • gordster1122

Posted July 06, 2009 - 08:32 PM

i bought it used last summer and still runs good its been sitting in the shed waiting to buy a new fmf powercore pipe but my question it is starting to get rust spots here and there and i want to take everything off to repaint the frame is it hard to take everything off i am going to order a repair manual tommorrow

• 642MX

Posted July 07, 2009 - 04:30 PM

Welcome newbie :worthy:

No, its not hard to strip a 426.... but I wouldn't worry about, the paint rubs off so easily that your hard work probably won't last one long weekend of riding.

No need to order a repair manual. You can download the manual for free, see the sticky thread at the top of the YZF forums.

• gordster1122

Posted July 07, 2009 - 07:18 PM

i really want to get it powdercoated but dont have the money right now and my plan is to take it apart and put all new parts on it :worthy: and i really want to bore the engine
and i forgot to add my other question when i was typing the first post but i heard if you put a 450 cam in it i wont have to use the decompression lever anymore is that true?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted July 07, 2009 - 07:45 PM

i really want to get it powdercoated but dont have the money right now and my plan is to take it apart and put all new parts on it :banana: and i really want to bore the engine
and i forgot to add my other question when i was typing the first post but i heard if you put a 450 cam in it i wont have to use the decompression lever anymore is that true?

The 450 cam mod is awesome. You'll find lots of info here: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989 Take a couple hours and let it all soak in. :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2009 - 09:15 PM

In the current price environment, I would use an aftermarket stage one exhaust cam made for the 426 instead of the 450 unit. The price advantage of the OEM cam has vanished, and the timing is simpler with a unit made for the engine. The end result in terms of functionality is the same.

• yamahammer426

Posted July 08, 2009 - 06:30 AM

In the current price environment, I would use an aftermarket stage one exhaust cam made for the 426 instead of the 450 unit. The price advantage of the OEM cam has vanished, and the timing is simpler with a unit made for the engine. The end result in terms of functionality is the same.

I'm planning on getting a Hot Cam for mine... I think I need to have the valves adjusted anyway, so I'd be ahead to get the new cam and have it dropped in while it's opened up anyway. I'm told that the Hot Cam gives it a little more low-midrange power as well.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2009 - 07:13 AM

I'm told that the Hot Cam gives it a little more low-midrange power as well.

The YZ450 cam does that as well as to remove the spike in the power curve at mid range. The aftermarket cams seem to be based on a very similar grind profile as the 450. Both result in a stronger, flatter torque curve below the peak, and work very nicely.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.