CHARGE it !!

8 replies to this topic
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted March 22, 2003 - 05:10 PM

i charged my battery and the bike starts right up now even cold. i am running a 165 main and 48 pilot,pilot screw 1 3/4 turns out. when i plugged the battery to the charger it was practicaly dead. it took a little over 3 hours to fully charge the battery . once it was charged i hit the button and it started right up even without the choke and the bike sat for a week. i highly recommend anyone who is having starter problems to charge there batteries. i got the battery tender plus and i have to say it was a good investment .

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted March 22, 2003 - 05:30 PM

Ditto on that! I did the same after noticing that my battery didn't seem to want to hold a charge. Works great now.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2003 - 03:15 PM

Mine holds charge from weekend to weekend riding. But I agree that it needs to be put on a charger if it is going to sit for more than a week.

• glenm

Posted March 23, 2003 - 04:27 PM

Hey, what is a battery tender? Also can you use a regular 12v car battery charger to charge the battery? I got my bike last week and I'm dying to get out on it. Numerous wife projects and tenant plumbing problems cancelled my first ride. I have started it a couple of times and notice the battery is getting weaker.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lon13

Posted March 23, 2003 - 06:03 PM

Mine is always on a tender when it's in the garage, and it starts with the button cold every time. It' so easy to start with the kickstarter though, I almost hate using the button!

• Jim_bo

Posted March 23, 2003 - 06:16 PM

I understand that you are supposed to kick it when cold. However, I never understood why... anyone else know?

Jimbo

• TWSimpson

Posted March 24, 2003 - 04:23 AM

glenm,
Be careful with a car charger. You want low amps. If your charger can be set to a 2 amp charge you'd probably be okay. :)

• beezer

Posted March 24, 2003 - 04:41 AM

The cold weather, lean jetting and new tight motors makes them not turn over fast enough to start. Once the jetting is changed and the motors loosen up you will be able to use the e-start I think.

A car battery charger can fry the battery. A battery tender is the way to go.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2003 - 06:09 PM

Beezer is right. Once the engine is full broken in at 300 miles or so the E-start works very well. I was concerned at first and now I laugh. I just reached 524 miles this weekend. The bike starts very easily usually on the first try. Hot start works great. Choke is perfect. I love my WR450! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.