What lubes and greases do you use?

5 replies to this topic
  • Andrejs2112

Posted July 05, 2009 - 03:49 AM

I was wondering what kind of lubes I'd need to start maintenance on my 03 Wr 450. The manual has the types listed, but I have never heard of them by the names used. What do I need to get when I go to the automotive store to buy lube? What is used where? NOT ENGINE OIlL.

Thanks,
AR

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 05, 2009 - 08:16 PM

I have used disc brake hi temp bearing grease for all of the bearings in the chassis and wheels and it works fine. I know have some waterproof belray grease for this and like it better. For cables you could probably just use some type of lube spray from an auto parts store, can't think of any names. Anti seize or white lithium grease for bolts and such. White lithium works for anything the manual says "soap based" or something to that affect. It will probably work on most anything really.

• Andrejs2112

Posted July 06, 2009 - 02:59 AM

Thank you. I happen to have that in my garage now. Just wasn't sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 06, 2009 - 11:31 AM

For the past 30 years I've always used plain old waterproof marine grease for any joint requiring grease on any dirt or road bike I've owned.
It's available at any auto shop.
It's worked flawlessly in that time and is cheaper than anything you'll buy in a bike shop.

Cables: I use a cable luber and WD40 first to clean the cable out, then chain lube after that for lubrication.

Pivot points (footpegs etc.): I use the grease here too, or if i don't have time to pull them apart to grease then I use chain lube spray as best I can, working the joint to get it right in as I spray.

Greg

• nitronaf

Posted July 09, 2009 - 07:17 AM

For the past 30 years I've always used plain old waterproof marine grease for any joint requiring grease on any dirt or road bike I've owned.
It's available at any auto shop.
It's worked flawlessly in that time and is cheaper than anything you'll buy in a bike shop.

Cables: I use a cable luber and WD40 first to clean the cable out, then chain lube after that for lubrication.

Pivot points (footpegs etc.): I use the grease here too, or if i don't have time to pull them apart to grease then I use chain lube spray as best I can, working the joint to get it right in as I spray.

Greg

What chain lube do you use greg? :worthy:

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 10, 2009 - 02:03 AM

In the past I have always used one of the chain waxes, eg. Maxima.

I recently bought a can of Silkolene Chain Gel and might give it a try for a while. I like the way it leaves that white film all over your chain, looks like a new chain every time you spray it on!

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.