clutch cable question

4 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 04, 2009 - 07:45 PM

I have a 05 wr450. I am looking to get more adjustability of my clutch cable tension. It seems that I have the adjustments on the cable set to allow for maximum slack. I also have the quick adjust knob set for max slack.

I have put on taller and wider bars and need to gain back the adjustability for when I am riding the cluch hard and need to add a little slack to a hot clutch.

How do I know how much longer of a cable to order? Is there a way to measure what I will need?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2009 - 09:15 PM

IMHO, you should be fine with the stock cable, if it is routed correctly. I have a 1.45 rise clamps and CR High bars with clutch cable problem .

The cable length should have nothing to do with free play adjustments.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 05, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Do you still have it routed along the right side, beneath the CDI , along the frame, under the carb and then over to the left side? I was thinking of trying to route it along the left side instead.

I definitely need to get more free play adjustment out of the cable. I just fried another clutch. Sure... I was working the lever really hard, and I had to given where I was riding. But to start the day with everything adjusted all the way out and still only 1/2 inch of free play is not right.

btw... I'm trying honda plates and will also drill my clutch basket for more oil flow.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 05, 2009 - 08:39 AM

Do you still have it routed along the right side, beneath the CDI , along the frame, under the carb and then over to the left side? I was thinking of trying to route it along the left side instead.

I definitely need to get more free play adjustment out of the cable. I just fried another clutch. Sure... I was working the lever really hard, and I had to given where I was riding. But to start the day with everything adjusted all the way out and still only 1/2 inch of free play is not right.

btw... I'm trying honda plates and will also drill my clutch basket for more oil flow.

- all cables routed on left side against/under backbone
- new clutch plates and basket

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 05, 2009 - 09:57 PM

Thanks. I'm going to try rerouting the cable.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.