WR450 Radiator overflow bottle removal

6 replies to this topic
  • Dustybum

Posted July 04, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Has anyone removed the radiator overflow bottle and run the bike without it to save on weight?
Is it a good idea or a stoopid thing to do and not worth the risk of damage by running out of water and overheating? :worthy:

• harvmushman

Posted July 04, 2009 - 12:51 PM

The plastic bottle itself weighs almost nothing. It would not be worth it.
The only weight you would be saving is the small amount of coolant it holds if/when your bike heats up. I think in this case it is worth having, since the "weight" of that coolant is coming from your hot engine/rads anyway.
I suppose you could just disconnect the coolant recovery bottle and dump this "excess" weight straight to to the ground. But gushing out coolant as a way to reduce weight seems like a PIA way to cut a few ounces!

• PowerBomb

Posted July 04, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Slightly off topic but my 426 is a resevior/overflow. Meaning, like a automobile, it holds coolant when the bike is cold. This seems contrary to what Mgouras is saying. How are ther 450's set up?

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted July 04, 2009 - 03:18 PM

The 450 uses the same recovery type system that the 426 uses. The 450 , at least the aluminum framed bikes use a " in my opinion" too small of a reservoir/recovery tank. During some of the more technical rides the coolant that is in the recovery tank still blows out on the ground through the overflow hose. This rarely happens, I'm just saying that removing it isn't the best way to go IMHO. WR Dave

• DS-WR450F

Posted July 04, 2009 - 09:25 PM

I purchased my 04 without the overflow tank. Mine overflows down by the rear shock, I assume like the YZ's do. Only once has it ever puked any, and it was very little, and the bike was very hot, stuck in the snow, in a canyon.

• graazzy

Posted July 05, 2009 - 12:01 AM

Has anyone removed the radiator overflow bottle and run the bike without it to save on weight?
Is it a good idea or a stoopid thing to do and not worth the risk of damage by running out of water and overheating? :worthy:

I consider the overflow bottle to be a good design feature , leave it on .

• MT-01

Posted July 05, 2009 - 12:28 AM

One of the very first things I did when I got my 07 WR450 was remove the overflow bottle.

I have now done over 6000k's (4000 miles) in all conditions without a single problem. I have to add a tiny bit of coolant about every 6 months.

Pat

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.