06 or 08 yz 450

9 replies to this topic
  • golybrown

Posted July 04, 2009 - 02:48 AM

hi guys im not sure wether to get an 06 or 08 yz 450. I read that the 06 had some cornering issues which were fixed in 08. Did the 06 have cornering issues, wasit fixed and is the 08 worth the extra money??? Also ive been told that the 08 has a slightly mellow feel to the engine, does is this the same with the 06

• Justin89

Posted July 04, 2009 - 06:59 AM

hi guys im not sure wether to get an 06 or 08 yz 450. I read that the 06 had some cornering issues which were fixed in 08. Did the 06 have cornering issues, wasit fixed and is the 08 worth the extra money??? Also ive been told that the 08 has a slightly mellow feel to the engine, does is this the same with the 06

They are both awesome bikes. The 06 did have some cornering issues however some people believe you can "fix" this by tripple clamps, bars, suspension, sag etc. I had an 06 and had 22mm RG3 clamps on it and that helped a lot. A set of Renthal Twinwall "Windham" bars also will improve the handling of the bike as well.

The 08 is an awesome bike as well. It does turn better and it does have a mellow feel to it (to some). That can be easily fixed with just about any after market exhaust or a set of 06 OEM yz450f cams. The 08 has a bigger head to compensate for the clogged up exhaust, so that alone might be benefitial in the future to work with. The 08 has awesome suspension stock from the factory and comes with new linkage. All in all, both great bikes. Look for good deals on craigslist, its a buyers market right now. I now have a 07 and like it just as much as the other two bikes.:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2009 - 07:27 AM

The 08 ... does have a mellow feel to it (to some). That can be easily fixed with just about any after market exhaust or a set of 06 OEM yz450f cams. The 08 has a bigger head to compensate for the clogged up exhaust, so that alone might be benefitial in the future to work with.

The exhaust is normally all that's needed. The '08 does have a higher RPM bias to its cam timing, and more peak HP at the expense of some low end grunt, however, but once the exhaust is fixed, most people are OK with it.

Those wanting more can add the exhaust cam (not a set of cams) from the '06 and increase low/mid power further without loosing a significant amount of the top end edge the '08 has over the '06. Using both cams essentially turns it into an '06.

The '08 head is not "bigger", but it does flow slightly better than the earlier versions.

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 06, 2009 - 06:10 AM

I have a 08 and I had a 06. If you compare them with the same exhaust, I am running a fmf powercore with a power bomb on my 08 and had the stock exhaust on the 06 with the powerbomb, you will find the power on the 06 is stronger off the bottom but not really faster. Really they both have more then all of us can use. I will call it a draw. As for the suspension and handling not that big a difference either. Maybe the 08 turns a little better but not much. I would make my decision based on the $$.

• Weapon X

Posted July 06, 2009 - 08:10 AM

If your a beginner rider you wouldn't notice any of these flaws buy either and ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted July 06, 2009 - 04:01 PM

i own an 06 and an 08. great bikes i would say either one is a great pick

• hillclimbguy

Posted July 06, 2009 - 10:16 PM

Lots of great deals on 06 models on Craigslist.. Guys wanting to get rid of their rides for newer ones or clearing out the garage.

• Wiz636

Posted July 07, 2009 - 02:57 PM

I have owned both and would definitely take the '08 over the '06. The suspension and chassis is just more refined and dialed in than the '06. My '08cornered better right off the shop floor than my '06 did after making all the set up adjustments to it. The '06 motor is stronger off the bottom even after adding an exhaust system to my '08 though.

• dlindblom

Posted July 07, 2009 - 05:22 PM

I own a 08 and have riden a 06 and both are great bikes. The 06 does have a little more low end but you only notice it at really slow speeds. If you have the extra money I would go for the 08.

• Sharp Shooter

Posted July 07, 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have owned both and would definitely take the '08 over the '06. The suspension and chassis is just more refined and dialed in than the '06. My '08cornered better right off the shop floor than my '06 did after making all the set up adjustments to it. The '06 motor is stronger off the bottom even after adding an exhaust system to my '08 though.

I have an 06 and my buddy has the 08. I've ridden the 08 several times and agreee completely with Wiz636! :worthy:

IMO the 08 is a much easier to ride bike that handles and brakes way better but it's softer down low than the 06 (even with the Dr. D pipe on the 08).

08 is better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.