Garmin E-Trex GPS

8 replies to this topic
  • fastmonstr

Posted September 15, 2002 - 05:02 PM

I just got a E-Trex Legend. Has anybody had any success mounting one to you thumper???

• Tim_in_WA

Posted September 16, 2002 - 01:33 AM

Check out for mounting solutions. They're experts when it comes to GPS and motorcycles.

• kris_mobley

Posted September 16, 2002 - 02:15 AM

I am using Cycoactive's mounting kit for my E-trex. The remote battery pack is effective. Longer battery life ane helps reduce vibration problems. It is made somewhat cheaply, but works.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 16, 2002 - 03:28 AM

Check out a-loop

I was just in there site yesterday. They have a lot of stuff for gps. Including a "hardning" procedure that helps solidify the circut boards against the vibration and pounding that a bike can deliver.

[ September 16, 2002, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: yzman400 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrong

Posted September 16, 2002 - 03:53 AM

Best mount is the RAM ball mount. 2 Garmin etrex's, 2 RAM ball mounts-0 problems

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 16, 2002 - 06:17 AM

Oops. A-loop is no more. Just surfin there site. They have shut down the shop.

• mikeolichney

Posted September 17, 2002 - 09:57 PM

If you have fatbars, get a barpad and cut a spot for your GPS. Zip tie it in (using the mount if it fits well). You can change back to a normal barpad easily.

Try not to smash your helmet into the GPS on your next getoff.

• neWRiver

Posted September 19, 2002 - 08:11 AM

RAM mounts are very good and cycoactive is a good site that offers just about everything you can get for offroading with your GPS.

I had a Legend and liked it alot. One suggestion, though. The cradle on the RAM mount holds the unit pretty securely, but do make sure you attach a backup strap or zip-tie or something in case it falls out. I've had a fair number of pretty rough getoffs and the unit never budged,... well except once. :)

I have a Garmin GPS V now (great unit, but expensive). :D

• fastmonstr

Posted September 19, 2002 - 10:46 AM

The RAM mount is less expensive of the 2. The main thing I do not like about it is that it appears to stick about 2-3 inches above the handlebars.

It looks like it could get knocked around quite a bit.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.