Rear tire wobble 2006 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • gabrams

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have a slight wobble in the rear tire when you check your wheel bearings for play. i had just taken apart the entire rear end suspension linkage, shock, swingarm, and control arm and cleaned everything and regreased all my bearings. When I reassembled I checked the rear tire as usual and it felt like my rear bearings were just starting to go. I replaced them tonight and the play is still there. When i do the bearing check I can feel the hub and the collar moving independently (it still feels like the the rear bearings are just a little tiny bit bad). Is it possible this is because the axle has a little wear in it after cleaning it? Or any other thoughts? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:21 PM

Is it possible this is because the axle has a little wear in it after cleaning it?

Not if the axle is tight.

• gabrams

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:40 PM

it definitely is. i know it's fine to ride with such a minor wobble but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my bike and it's annoying me and i haven't had it on the track for 3 weeks so i'm going anyway tomorrow.

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:44 PM

check your spokes i had the same problem with my first bike and it fixed it right up

• gabrams

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:51 PM

i don't think it's the spokes either. i think i can feel a tiny bit of movement difference between the dust collar on the outermost part of the wheel that contacts the swingarm and the hub. if you hold you finger on the split between the two you can feel probably .005" of play between the two. It's identical to a wheel bearing that is just starting to show signs of wear. I didn't mention that the new bearings are Pivot Works if that makes a difference but the previous set just started doing the same thing too. i'm also debating if the patch covers (plastic oval bushings) that are on the inside of the swingarm that contact the wheel collars are a little worn giving the wheel a little side to side movement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:27 AM

If you can feel/measure .005" of play with your finger - you need to go riding more!

Well, since you KNOW that your wheelbearings are good since you just bought them, I suggest replacing the bike around them one piece at a time until the wobble goes away - please mail all pieces you are replacing to me.

Don't worry about it and go ride!

• mikedabike

Posted July 03, 2009 - 12:44 PM

Did the bearing fit tight? I had a hub where the bearing surface was worn and would not hold the bearing tight.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted July 03, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Did the bearing fit tight? I had a hub where the bearing surface was worn and would not hold the bearing tight.

Same here and it will get worse if that is the problem. You could bore the hub and machine a sleeve. Also a easy fix is some brass shim stock strips the correct thickness.

• gabrams

Posted July 03, 2009 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the idea. i may try making a sleeve. Luckily i'm a mechanical engineer and former machinist with a full machine shop at my disposal. Thanks for the post.

• wheeldude

Posted July 04, 2009 - 04:01 AM

I use an inside Knurl with a diamond pattern to get the press fit back. I use a fine (80) knurl bit. You can usually restore .003 to .004. Any more, and it is hub time. This problem is definately a weak spot on the YZ rear hub. WD

• gabrams

Posted July 04, 2009 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the idea. that will probably be my first attempt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.