A little help from the experts...

11 replies to this topic
  • 303mav

Posted July 02, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hi all!

I have been perusing posts for a little while now trying to zero in on which bike is for me. After my efforts, I have decided to go with a WR450R. Now the only question is which year. I have the ability to get a 2005 with 2k original miles; it's stock with the exception of unabiker radiator gaurds and a thumpertalk skid plate This would be for $3400. The other bike is a new 2009 WR straight from the dealer for $6600. I know the price difference is drastic, but I didn't know if it'd be worth it to ensure I know that the bike was taken care of from the beginning.

Any thought are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maverick

• arctic954

Posted July 02, 2009 - 02:48 PM

2,000 original miles on a used WR is nothing..... (unlike a KTM EXC where the head life is around 4,000 miles)

I'v seen posts on this forum with people saying they don't even bother checking valve clearances until 11,000 miles.

Its pretty obvious that the WR is a solid bike....when you still see quite a few WR400's around....

If it were me --- I'd save the cash.

• 303mav

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:05 PM

Good to know about the head life! I am waiting on some pics from the seller to gauge it's physical abuse...

• DS-WR450F

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:36 PM

I purchased an 04' last year, and love it!

• 303mav

Posted July 02, 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the enthusiasm on the 05' thus far guys!!! I like the idea of saving the extra funds. I talked to a buddy tonight and now have a new hesitation. He said he used to have an 03' and he cracked his frame and oil went everywhere, not to mention the steel frame weighed a lot....Needless to say he's pushing me towards the new one.

Is the weight really an issue/ is it common for a frame crack like that?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the enthusiasm on the 05' thus far guys!!! I like the idea of saving the extra funds. I talked to a buddy tonight and now have a new hesitation. He said he used to have an 03' and he cracked his frame and oil went everywhere, not to mention the steel frame weighed a lot....Needless to say he's pushing me towards the new one.

Is the weight really an issue/ is it common for a frame crack like that?

The Steel frame is lighter than the Aluminum frame, it think.
The aluminum is all about faster/automated construction and rigidity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 303mav

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:27 PM

The Steel frame is lighter than the Aluminum frame, it think.
The aluminum is all about faster/automated construction and rigidity.

Interesting....well I can't seem to find abundant info showing catastrophic steel failures so I think I might go for it.:worthy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2009 - 01:18 AM

Interesting....well I can't seem to find abundant info showing catastrophic steel failures so I think I might go for it.:worthy:

I have an '03 and it is a very good bike. This is my 19 th motocycle in 37 years.
So far it has been one of the most fun (1979 RM-250, 2002 CRF450R). Very easy to ride slow or fast. Can't say that about my 450X; it doesn't like slow.

• snaggletooth

Posted July 04, 2009 - 02:10 AM

$3.500 may be a fair deal but it doesn't sound like a "sweet deal" to me. I'm no expert on the pice of older WR's, hopefuly others will let you know if that is a good price to pay.

Did you test ride it? Did it feel like it had "more than enough power" for you? If it did, as long as your not hung up on having the newest coolest bike a used WR (without aluminum frame) should keep you happy.

I like to look at it this way, "if I know I'll want something newer or faster in the next eight or so months, could I recoup most of my money back if I sold it?"

If I know the bike will stay with me for many years I never even consider the above thought.

• bg10459

Posted July 04, 2009 - 05:10 AM

I'd save the cash, but IMO, $3400 seems a bit steep for an '05 unless it's street legal.

• 303mav

Posted July 04, 2009 - 09:19 PM

I will definitely try and talk him down a bit if I go through with it on the 05. Luckily I tentatively sold my bike!!!:worthy: I am meeting the guy Thursday and he sounds like he's super serious... So essentially I should have a new one by Friday. If so, I will let you guys end up knowing what I decide on and post some pics of the new ride.

Thanks for all of the opinions so far.:banana:

• HTElectrical

Posted July 06, 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have an 05 and I am buying a new 08 tomorrow morning. Actually this morning. I am getting it for 6,200.00 OTD. I would buy the new bike. The 07 and up have the aluminum frame and handle 10x better than the steel frame bikes. They have upgraded forks, tyranny, and well its NEW!!!!!! My 05 lost 3rd gear over the weekend, and since I race, I figured it was probably time to buy a new bike. $3,400.00 is fairly high. It also matters what kind of upgrades it has. When I bought my 05 1 year ago, it came with the 3 gal Clarke tank, Scott's stabilizer, spare set of plastic, skid plate, radiator guards, ASV levers, and several other things, and I paid 3700.00. If I had it to do all over again, I would of bought a new 08 instead of the used 05. Just my opinion.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.