650R Air Filters

10 replies to this topic
  • XRGUY79

Posted March 21, 2003 - 03:07 PM

I am looking to get an xtra air filter for my 650R
I would like somthing that flows more air then stock!
I have looked at Twin air, and there are two models one with a cage and one without!?
what one is best?
also the dealer says K&N Voids your warrentie cause they can leak!, mind you how would they know I used one.
anyways I would like to hear what you guys recomend!
My bike is uncorked! :)

• bigtom17

Posted March 21, 2003 - 03:37 PM

I use UNI and have not had any issues. Clean it every ride, looks the same now as a year ago.

• XRGUY79

Posted March 21, 2003 - 04:23 PM

Is the Uni filter like the stock one or does it
have a cage and you need to remove the steel backfire screen?

• tma

Posted March 22, 2003 - 05:18 AM

My Uni came with a cage... Works great. Check out the link to view the UNI Filter review near the bottom of the page at XR650R Net. XR650R Net
Good luck. :)

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted March 22, 2003 - 06:33 AM

I am running with the NOTOIL which still requires the backfire screen. The foam is not as dense as the stock and it has a better lip on it for sealing. Best of all - no mess! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jaybert600

Posted March 22, 2003 - 06:49 AM

I have had leakage problems with the stock and the UNI. I switched to the K&N and think this is the best possible. It simply fits so well that it looks like it should have come stock with the motorcycle. Be sure to use plenty of grease at the sealing surface, no matter which you use. Also, cleaning intervals with the K&N are greater than the others.

• f29

Posted March 22, 2003 - 08:16 AM

I got a bunch of stock air filters from Team Honda off-road and i have tried them all and I like the stock the best. They last the longest and never had a leak problem. I race Dist.-37 Dez and through the worst silt the stock last the longest.

Dave @ www.winnersedgeracing.com

• XRGUY79

Posted March 22, 2003 - 10:46 AM

Wow this forum rocks!
thanks for the info guys, I like K&Ns, so maybe I will go that way either that or UNI!
Thanks a bunch guys!
Spring is finally here
its been a long winter! :)

• needsprayer

Posted March 22, 2003 - 11:14 AM

Never had a leak problem with stock either. I have put electricians tape around the border of the backfire screen. I have two stock filters, always have a clean one ready.

The K&N supposedly has a more open mesh and could let fine particles through if not cleaned and oiled often.

Why do you think you need more airflow, have you performed a dyno test?

• f29

Posted March 22, 2003 - 09:26 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention is that I put water proof grease along the inside box where the filter rests to help catch anything that might want to get around the filter.
I know this sounds like common knowledge, but alot of people dont do this F.Y.I.

Dave @ www.winnersedgeracing.com ( for arm-pump elimination check out the site)

• Grimmer

Posted March 27, 2003 - 04:06 AM

I run a UNI on my bike. It is a bit of work to install, but done correctly it seals well and flows the most air of any currently available filter on the market. The UNI does not require the stock backfire screen, it comes with an aluminum support frame that sits inside the filter.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.