XR650L vs. XR400(dualsported): Best overall bike?

63 replies to this topic
  • firffighter

Posted July 01, 2009 - 09:28 PM

I just got offered a dualsported XR400 for my XR650L.

My 650L is a '98 and has been de-smogged, carb mods, airbox opened w/ K&N filter, regeared to 13-45 for woods, new Pirelli MT21 front and MT43 rear, new CRF plastic w/Baja Designs tail light, skidplate.

The XR400 has the Baja Designs dualsport kit, 3.9 gal tank, all new plastic and SDG seat, w/ all the wood protection, stock motor with airbox opened, rejetted and silencer tip added, new Racetech heavier springs.

My question is would I be gaining much in terms of off-road performance with the XR400?

I know the XR400 weighs less and is better suited for tight trails, but can I do anything more to my XR650L to get it close the the XR400 for those tight trails?

I was thinking that I could add and aftermarket tank, aluminum exhaust, do the battery relocation to drop another 5-10 lbs.

If I could have only 1 bike to do woods riding and hit the hwy time to time, which would I be better off with.

80% dirt/20% street

• creeky

Posted July 02, 2009 - 02:31 AM

Xr400.

• akarob

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'd imagine you'ld have to have to ride the XR400 and see for yourself. What is good for you may not be good for me.

You didn't say how big you were, I'm a pretty big guy and I'm pretty happy with the 650L in the woods. It's hard to say which one you would like better because they're both really decent bikes.

• 2005_xr250l_thumper

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:48 AM

at a glance id say the 400 for 80/20

• Kenzo

Posted July 02, 2009 - 05:18 AM

if both bikes r approximately in equal condition i wudn't trade w/o sum cash :banana:

we have an ample supply of used XR400's in gud condition around here in the $1500 or less price range...usally plated w/ extras.

my stripped down L weights ~310lbs w/o fuel and ~335lbs or so w/ 4 gallons of fuel plus the tools i carry(~2lbs).

it's a bit of a bear in the woods but i'm not a little guy at 6'1" 210lbs...i've contemplated a "smaller" 4 stroke but i'm gunna stick w/ it this season or until a great deal comes along on a CRF450X or a KTM450-525...

the way i figure it learn'n to throw the pig around the woods is gud training and makes for a gud full body workout :worthy:

aggressive tires, 13/45 gearing and seat time made the biggest difference in the woods on the L for me :banana:

although i'm beginning to wish i had a pumper carb.

:banana:

• Research Rat

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:07 AM

+1 on Kenzo's comment on modified pigs being tough in tight woods.

Keep in mind that the xr400 was the four stroke mid bore precursor to the crf450r, clearly there were updates between this model and the crf450r.

If you are interested in a mid bore 4 stroke woods/enduro bike, it might be better to locate a modern crf450x.
-Scott

if both bikes r approximately in equal condition i wudn't trade w/o sum cash :banana:

we have an ample supply of used XR400's in gud condition around here in the $1500 or less price range...usally plated w/ extras.

my stripped down L weights ~310lbs w/o fuel and ~335lbs or so w/ 4 gallons of fuel plus the tools i carry(~2lbs).

it's a bit of a bear in the woods but i'm not a little guy at 6'1" 210lbs...i've contemplated a "smaller" 4 stroke but i'm gunna stick w/ it this season or until a great deal comes along on a CRF450X or a KTM450-525...

the way i figure it learn'n to throw the pig around the woods is gud training and makes for a gud full body workout :worthy:

aggressive tires, 13/45 gearing and seat time made the biggest difference in the woods on the L for me :banana:

although i'm beginning to wish i had a pumper carb.

• firffighter

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:08 AM

I had a XR400 w/ 416 kit, stage 1 cam and pumper carb. It was a hoot in the woods. You could really push it and I had no problems keeping up with 450's and 250 smokers.

I am not sure I could do that with the 650L, although I really dont push it any more.

I like the e-start on the 650, and if it is around 315 stripped down it would weigh about 30 lbs. more than the XR400 I had.

• Purcell69

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Another issue potentially is that 20% road time. County roads and city streets or interstate time? I've ridden 350 singles on the interstate (XL350R and DR350S / SE) and they can hold their own, but it's an awful lot to ask of that single to hold up for any length of time, let alone any serious travel.

-Joe

• firffighter

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:32 AM

That is my concern.

I will be doing some hwy work both for local dualsporting and on an yearly trip to Mexico. I am talking about 150 mile days with a few of them being all hwy while in Mexico. Granted, we will be taking breaks along the way since my guide is nearly 70 yrs. old.

My local dualsporting would just have short jaunts of hwy (no more than 20 miles) and only a half dozen times a year.

Just to throw another monkey wrench in the mix, I found a XR650R with e-start in nice shape as well. Any advantages with the 650R over a stripped down L in the woods?

• Tango650

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:37 AM

My opinion is: Stick with what you have. You know what your bike is, and there are uknown risks when getting a used bike. Modify your bike to better suit your needs, that's half the fun anyway. As far as the bikes, I have had XR400 (440 kit), XR600, and now an XR650r all dual sported. I liked the 400 the least and I ride the woods alot. I felt it was under powered, hard starting, spark plug was pain to get at, and the seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever been on.

• Kawidad

Posted July 02, 2009 - 08:39 AM

+1 on Kenzo's comment on modified pigs being tough in tight woods.

Keep in mind that the xr400 was the four stroke mid bore precursor to the crf450r, clearly there were updates between this model and the crf450r.

If you are interested in a mid bore 4 stroke woods/enduro bike, it might be better to locate a modern crf450x.
-Scott

Except the XR400 will still be around when the earth cools and the new CRFs will keep scattering their top ends and needing rebuilds annually (at best).:worthy:

• NMNORGE

Posted July 02, 2009 - 08:58 AM

My opinion is: Stick with what you have. You know what your bike is, and there are uknown risks when getting a used bike. Modify your bike to better suit your needs, that's half the fun anyway. As far as the bikes, I have had XR400 (440 kit), XR600, and now an XR650r all dual sported. I liked the 400 the least and I ride the woods alot. I felt it was under powered, hard starting, spark plug was pain to get at, and the seat was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever been on.

I loved the 400 seat, like a couch. Take the 400 it's a very fun bike and it can hang with the modern 450's. I miss mine badly, but this aging lazy rider wanted e-start. :worthy:

Posted Image

waaaaa!

• freestylette

Posted July 02, 2009 - 10:31 AM

Except the XR400 will still be around when the earth cools and the new CRFs will keep scattering their top ends and needing rebuilds annually (at best).:worthy:

+1 on that! First hand experience talking here. The new top ends aren't worthy of going more than walking distance away from a mechanic's shop!

• Research Rat

Posted July 02, 2009 - 10:58 AM

Are we talking only Honda crf450 top ends or all Japanese 450 top ends?

Dirtrider, dirt bike, and Motocross Action all have recently mentioned that WR450s are uber reliable.

-Scott

+1 on that! First hand experience talking here. The new top ends aren't worthy of going more than walking distance away from a mechanic's shop!

• Rascal560

Posted July 02, 2009 - 11:25 AM

I loved the 400 seat, like a couch. Take the 400 it's a very fun bike and it can hang with the modern 450's. I miss mine badly, but this aging lazy rider wanted e-start. :worthy:

Posted Image

waaaaa!

That's a NICE looking 400! :banana:

Posted Image

• 2005_xr250l_thumper

Posted July 02, 2009 - 01:34 PM

nice four hundo there.

• Kenzo

Posted July 02, 2009 - 01:52 PM

i'm look'n at a 400...

...except it's a 2007 400XCW :worthy:

i wudn't even consider a 400 if there were slab involved/dual sport'n...the above wud be a woods bike.

BTW there are plenty of CRF450X dualsported and on the highways...not blow'n up ether. :banana:

• mylsmkj

Posted July 02, 2009 - 01:58 PM

I used to have an xr650l uncorked and desmogged it was too big for me, I have a drz400e plated I like it better for everything (much better on trails). I have also ridden an uncorked 650r the torque and power is much better than the 650l and it feels lighter I stayed away because of the kick (I guess I'm lazy). Don't know if this helps at all Good luck with your decision.

• firffighter

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:43 PM

leaning toward the XR400 at this point, just concerned about sustained 65mph riding.

I know that I would like it for woods though.

Decisions, decisions...

• NMNORGE

Posted July 02, 2009 - 03:49 PM

leaning toward the XR400 at this point, just concerned about sustained 65mph riding.

I know that I would like it for woods though.

Decisions, decisions...

Valid concern. With stock gearing; 65mph for many miles is tough. I tried many different gearing options and found stock was the best for trails, jeep roads and highway. My KTM friends loved to pull up next to me on the highway and then shift into 6th gear (bastards!). When it came to tough trails the XR400 would leave the KTM's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L owner here. by chrisross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  31 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda XR650L 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Funny story out of my FCR tuning saga! by bradrup

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Can't make my mind up...xr650L to KTM 690r by 09BigRed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  56 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.