YZ450 water pump free-play.

3 replies to this topic
  • greenguy500

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:51 PM

I am helping a fellow TT'er change the water pump seal on his '03 yz 450. The bike is now torn down. The pump impeller appears to have too much free-play. With the pump shaft inserted into the drive-gear, the shaft rotates about 15-20 degrees. When we did my kx500 recently, the pump impeller, which has a built-in gear on the end, was only able to be rotated a couple of degrees. Does anyone know if it is a normal condition for a yz to have that much play. We cannot detect any wear on any of the mating surfaces. I would hate to get his bike back together and have something cut loose. Any info would be appreciated. These blue bikes are still a little baffling to me.

• cbrewer450

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:12 PM

Darn it Jeff... you beat me to my own question. Yes it is my YZ450F with the broken water pump. Like greenguy said, there is some play where the impeller shaft inserts into the gear. There is no signs of wear on the shaft or gear.
Any thoughts on how much play is normal or should there be none?
Thanks all..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:30 PM

There is normally a good 15~20 degrees of rotational play between the impeller shaft and the drive pocket in the balancer shaft.

Watch for an excess of play in the balancer shaft bearing itself, or in the impeller shaft bearing, or a groove worn in the shaft by the coolant seal that can be felt as a low spot with a fingernail.

• cbrewer450

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:37 PM

You the man gray... I was waiting for your reply. I'm replacing the shaft, bearing, and seals tomorrow. The shaft has some pretty good grooves in it. But everything else looks great. I will accept the play as norm. Thanks for the reply.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.