Best/Worst year for the wr450

13 replies to this topic
  • Brock_Landers

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:44 PM

In your opinion, what is the best or worst year so far for the WR450? Im mostly interested in which ones have the most bugs and problems. Or which ones have you had the best experience with. Thanks in advance for your input. :worthy:

• diegox450

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:49 PM

I think that the 2006 is the best of the steel framed ones. 08 and 09 for aluminium are great and have no problems. The 07's have a little problem with the airbox.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:05 PM

They're all good. The '03 had the starter problem of course but that's an easy remedy. IMO the 07/08/09's are the best all around package of the bunch but you can't go wrong with any of them.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:39 PM

I think that the 2006 is the best of the steel framed ones. 08 and 09 for aluminium are great and have no problems. The 07's have a little problem with the airbox.

The '07 problem wasn't with the airbox it was with the filter cage. Some of the earlier ones were delivered with a hole in the middle to accomadate the center screw like the YZ's have :worthy: It would pass dust and that isn't good at all.

I'd like to ride an unplugged '03 or '04 with a YZ exhaust cam and a good muffler. I hear those things hit pretty damn hard.

I agree with above in that the '07+ are the best overall package.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:56 PM

The 03 had alot more problems then the starter.After that there all good.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 01, 2009 - 09:28 PM

The 03 had alot more problems then the starter.After that there all good.

Really? Curious what they were. I have an '03, an '04 and an '08. Other than the starter drive there's almost no difference between the '03 and the '04. The '03 has well over 10,000 miles on it and just now getting new valves. Other than that no issues with any of them. :worthy:

• WGP

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:28 AM

The steel frames can crack and leak oil after a good crash.

It happened on my 05 450 and my friends 06 250.

Its not a huge deal to weld it back up...but I would go with Aluminum frame..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:53 AM

lol that's like saying after a good crash, the clutch cover could get hit by a rock and have a leak :banana: :banana:

if your worried about the frame cracking after a crash, you have bigger things to worry about :worthy:

• dustdogg

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:30 PM

lol that's like saying after a good crash, the clutch cover could get hit by a rock and have a leak :banana: :banana:

if your worried about the frame cracking after a crash, you have bigger things to worry about :worthy:

I agree. Radiators, levers, shrouds and fenders have always seemed a little more velnerable than a frame:bonk: :banana:

Pick a clean bike and forget about the year. 03' is the only year I know of that had problems worth mentioning. They can be retrofitted with 04' so this really isn't an issue. My 02' has only been rock solid needing nothing more than regular maintenance. Still havn't needed to adjust the valves yet:thumbsup: I love my WR, and mabey when they get EFI and the YZ suspension I will upgrade. Until then I will enjoy what I have and without having to worry about reliability problems - Honda CRF (cough) (cough) ha ha:p :banana: :banana:

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:42 PM

On the 03wr450 had 4 of them break the flywheel key.Yes I know all the fixits.At the time when they where new ,had to hide the bikes .Come back week later to repair,because could not tow out.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 02, 2009 - 08:35 PM

On the 03wr450 had 4 of them break the flywheel key.Yes I know all the fixits.At the time when they where new ,had to hide the bikes .Come back week later to repair,because could not tow out.

That's because they didn't have the '04 starter upgrade. Easily done and then you will never shear another key!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:53 PM

It happened on my 05 450 and my friends 06 250.

Its not a huge deal to weld it back up...but I would go with Aluminum frame..

Yeah and I hear that if you endo off a cliff the forks sometimes bend. :worthy:

• thedktor

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:31 PM

Yeah and I hear that if you endo off a cliff the forks sometimes bend. :banana:

Damm. And I guess Hondas are ok then?

Steve :worthy:

• Jekel

Posted July 07, 2009 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123BigcoopDawg576
lol that's like saying after a good crash, the clutch cover could get hit by a rock and have a leak

if your worried about the frame cracking after a crash, you have bigger things to worry about

I agree. Radiators, levers, shrouds and fenders have always seemed a little more velnerable than a frame

"I'm thinking more along the line of body parts like arms and legs"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.