XR400R CRF fork conversion complete

21 replies to this topic
  • The Regulator

Posted July 01, 2009 - 02:28 PM

I decided to pull the trigger and do the CRF fork conversion after the last Big Boy ride. As you probably know, the XR is a great bike and can hang pretty good with most riders on faster bikes except in the whoops.

With that said and being a machinist in the past I was going to just go for it. Being a lighter rider and having a CRF 450x already in the stable I went with forks and tripple clamps from a 2004 CRF 250x for my 2003 XR400R. I had planned on jumping in and just start machining a new stem for the project but at the last minute I went with the http://www.twfracing.com/ bearings and the CRF stem. A couple of 3mm spacers under each bearing and your in business. I bolted it all up today and love it! I'm just waiting on a wheel spacer and a new front brake caliper and she will be done. Total cost after selling my old parts.....$150. Sweet! :worthy: Isn't Ebay great!!

Before
Posted Image

and after the conversion.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• xr4_rider

Posted July 01, 2009 - 03:25 PM

Nice job!!
Still thinking about it for mine.
Do you just need 1 bearing or two...and if I contacted them, what would I ask for?

• The Regulator

Posted July 01, 2009 - 03:32 PM

You would need both top and bottom bearings. They are 30mm ID X 47mm OD X 14mm . All they know is that people use them for dirt bike conversions but they will be able to help you out. Just shoot an e-mail to zv30@sbcglobal.net :worthy:

The standard OD for this bearing is 48mm and they special order the OD ground down to 47mm to fit their application.

• ThumperTDC

Posted July 01, 2009 - 04:25 PM

The USD forks makes the XR400 an different animal.

• allielauren

Posted July 01, 2009 - 05:37 PM

I just got a '03 XR 400. I am going to use for DS mostly, but will no doubt find myself in some single track.
I have triple clamps and A kit suspension for an '08 RMZ 250. I could use the kit or the stock RMZ suspension on the XR. Is this a reasonable idea or not?

I have been reading for hours every night on this forum. Thanks for so much great information.

• MindBlower

Posted July 03, 2009 - 03:15 PM

In what ways?

• Pontiaker

Posted July 03, 2009 - 05:24 PM

Man the spattering of stickers look like absolute hell...But the forks look great!

• Alex 400

Posted July 03, 2009 - 06:12 PM

So true. Makes it really stable at speed which I really like as well as adding about an inch of travel. really nice upgrade.

I decided to pull the trigger and do the CRF fork conversion after the last Big Boy ride. As you probably know, the XR is a great bike and can hang pretty good with most riders on faster bikes except in the whoops.

With that said and being a machinist in the past I was going to just go for it. Being a lighter rider and having a CRF 450x already in the stable I went with forks and tripple clamps from a 2004 CRF 250x for my 2003 XR400R. I had planned on jumping in and just start machining a new stem for the project but at the last minute I went with the http://www.twfracing.com/ bearings and the CRF stem. A couple of 3mm spacers under each bearing and your in business. I bolted it all up today and love it! I'm just waiting on a wheel spacer and a new front brake caliper and she will be done. Total cost after selling my old parts.....$150. Sweet! :worthy: Isn't Ebay great!!

Before
Posted Image

and after the conversion.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks great man! Nice job.

• gruberyz

Posted July 03, 2009 - 06:20 PM

In long high speed whoops my XR400 always seemed too short like the front end needed to be kicked out a bit but I loved how the forks worked in dog paddling rutted out log infested sections.

• sbabs

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Turned out real nice. Can you tell me how much the bearings and spacers cost? Also, where did you get the spacers and do you have pics?

• Motown Biker

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Looks awesome. Great job & thanks for the tips.

There is a nice Ohlins shock for an XR400 for sale on Ebay right now that would compliment your forks nicely.:worthy:

• The Regulator

Posted July 04, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Turned out real nice. Can you tell me how much the bearings and spacers cost? Also, where did you get the spacers and do you have pics?

Thanks...The bearings aren't cheap at $45 each but keep in mind that it can be made up when you sell your removed parts. I used large washers as spacers and you can either file or dremmel the ID of the spacer (washer) and the new XR head stock seals to fit the CRF stem. (30mm) The OD of the spacer just needs to seat under the new bearing race. (Just less than 47mm OD). You do have some extra threads on the stem so the spacers can be between 3mm and 5mm thick.

Hope this helps. :worthy:

Posted Image

• smv ryder

Posted July 04, 2009 - 06:42 PM

Looks awesome. Great job & thanks for the tips.

There is a nice Ohlins shock for an XR400 for sale on Ebay right now that would compliment your forks nicely.:worthy:

yeah i asked the seller about the shock and he seems to know about half the things most people wanna know.. very nice shock, probably an 800 dolla shock new? but would work from like stillwell performance and the gold valves be just as good and i think still at a lower price than that shock used?

• sbsurfer

Posted August 15, 2009 - 12:06 AM

bike looks good man. i did the USD swap not too long ago and love the difference. quick question...did you use the XR400 from wheel or a CR wheel. i have a CR on mine now but am trying to figure out the best way to make a XR400 supermoto set of wheels work with the USD forks. thanks

• cbxken

Posted August 15, 2009 - 05:22 AM

You said you were waiting on a caliper. I used CRF450X forks on my '02 and the XR caliper bolted right up. Does it not on the 250 forks?

• MindBlower

Posted August 15, 2009 - 08:21 AM

On that, is the CRF any upgrade vs the XR caliper???

• The Regulator

Posted August 15, 2009 - 09:21 AM

....quick question...did you use the XR400 from wheel or a CR wheel....... trying to figure out the best way to make a XR400 supermoto set of wheels work with the USD forks. thanks

I used a CR wheel because it was just a bolt on application.

You said you were waiting on a caliper....... Does it not fit on the 250 forks?

I read that some said they were able to bolt right up but the holes were off by about 1/2" on the XR caliper so I just sold what I had and use a CRF caliper.

On that, is the CRF any upgrade vs the XR caliper???

Not really an upgraded except I am slowly converting my parts on the XR to match my CRF 450x. Levers...brakes...ect. so I can pull parts from one bike in a pinch. :thumbsup:

............I'll try to get new pics up soon!

• MindBlower

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I used a CR wheel because it was just a bolt on application.

I read that some said they were able to bolt right up but the holes were off by about 1/2" on the XR caliper so I just sold what I had and use a CRF caliper.

Not really an upgraded except I am slowly converting my parts on the XR to match my CRF 450x. Levers...brakes...ect. so I can pull parts from one bike in a pinch. :thumbsup:

............I'll try to get new pics up soon!

I want to do the same thing, but a couple of guys have said that the CRF clutch perch didn't "fit" well on the XR, so that's kept me from going that direction. Not sure what that meant though............ ????????
I have fatbars on the 350 and Fasstflexx on the 400.
Does anyone know if the caliper is different? ie more powerful than the standard XR caliper??? You can get bigger rotors for the CRF stuff, but is the caliper better??

• The Regulator

Posted August 15, 2009 - 06:14 PM

I want to do the same thing, but a couple of guys have said that the CRF clutch perch didn't "fit" well on the XR,.... Not sure what that meant though............ ????????

Does anyone know if the caliper is different? ie more powerful than the standard XR caliper??? You can get bigger rotors for the CRF stuff, but is the caliper better??

My XR now has a CRF clutch perch. The only thing I did was drill out the cable adjuster on the perch to fit the larger diameter XR clutch cable. a 2 minute job.

The brake pucks are the same size on both calipers so I believe the output force would be equal. I would go with the newer technology as there are more options for upgrades but just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

• skagroovy

Posted October 08, 2009 - 11:55 PM

cant seem to find a source for the 30x48mm bearings???? any links
thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Scotts stabilizer on XR400 by MarkandtheBRP

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 carb tuning(96-97 difference after 97) by NEODS

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.