06 yz 450f..good bike to buy used?

7 replies to this topic
  • yoshgixxer

Posted July 01, 2009 - 01:53 PM

im about to go pick up a very clean 06 yz 450f,after taking about 5 years off of riding im ready to rip it up again!,the bike seems super clean and well taken care of buy the owner..anyways is there certain things i need to keep a eye on on this model? other then regular maitinence?

bike will mainley be a trail/off road bike with the ocasional race day

also whats the recomended oil's for this bike??

• TIG88

Posted July 01, 2009 - 02:17 PM

It sure is a good bike to buy used. I like Mobile One 4T oil myself, but its kind of expensive.

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:27 PM

well im am glad to hear that because i did buy it last night!:worthy:
im not worried about the cost of oil...it cant cost more then a new engine:bonk:

Thanks for the advice!

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:46 PM

i run yamalube some people like it others dont but i change oil everyother ride so i dont see how it would hurt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gabrams

Posted July 02, 2009 - 08:00 PM

I love mine i bought used. same year. just go through the whole bike when you get it. Grease the neck and the entire rear suspension/linkage/swingarm. Mine was dry when i got it. I had to rejet mine too, it was stock jetted a little lean. I just change the oil, clean the air filter, and do the clutch every 40 hours or so and pound it on the track. I run an 75/25 mix of water/antifreeze with Water wetter additive to try to help it run a little cooler and i run Mobil 1 4T oil in it. I notice i adjust the clutch a lot when it goes from cold to hot but it's a great bike. I also spiced it up with the Hurricane plastics kit because the original plastic was in such bad shape.

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:45 AM

im not sure what the jetting is on the bike now it seems to run fine...but i dont know the engine has been worked over,the fresh build only has 10 hours on it..

i know engine wise it dose have..

yosh pro series titanium exhaust
hot cams
new factory piston and rings
uni filter
hinson clutch, basket and pressure plate

along with a slew of chasis upgrades

i noticed there is a red anodized dial on the bottom of the carb that seems to be a way to adjust air/fuel its number 1/2/3/4..right now it looks like its just past the 2...what exactly dose this do? and should i mess with it? also whats a good place to start on the jetting

i found this set up but not exactly sure what all these jets are and were they are?? im new to thumpers!

Main:165
Pilot:45
needle:NFLR << whats that mean?
Clip position: 4th from top
Fuel screw 2 1/8 turns out <<< is this the red one?
Leak jet: 55 <<< whats this one? is this for the hot start?

but i do have a after market exhaust so it dose say this

If you switched to an after market exhaust,you could return to the NFPR (dont know what that stands for) richen the clipone position( i assume move it down?)or go to a 165 main jet

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2009 - 08:41 AM

i noticed there is a red anodized dial on the bottom of the carb that seems to be a way to adjust air/fuel its number 1/2/3/4..right now it looks like its just past the 2...what exactly dose this do? and should i mess with it? also whats a good place to start on the jetting

Almost everything you're asking about is in the fuel system section of the Common Threads Sticky.
I think that rather than go through and paste up all of them that you're liable to need here, I'll just tell you to look in this forum's index or click the link above and browse through. The red knob is indeed an aftermarket extended pilot screw (fuel screw). The numbers are for reference only, so you can determine one quarter turn from another, and how far you've turned it. Instructions for adjusting are in the manual and in the sticky.

If you don't have a manual, download one free from the links near the bottom of the CT sticky.

i found this set up but not exactly sure what all these jets are and were they are?? im new to thumpers!

Main:165
Pilot:45
needle:NFLR << whats that mean?
Clip position: 4th from top
Fuel screw 2 1/8 turns out <<< is this the red one?
Leak jet: 55 <<< whats this one? is this for the hot start?

but i do have a after market exhaust so it dose say this

If you switched to an after market exhaust,you could return to the NFPR (dont know what that stands for) richen the clipone position( i assume move it down?)or go to a 165 main jet

Whether the jetting needs to be different for an aftermarket pipe vs. a stock one depends on the pipe. In most cases, it doesn't. That jetting spec is exactly what I run late spring to November in SoCal at -80 ~ 4000 feet, except for the needle (I use the stock NFPR-4). I use a 168 main in the winter.

The code on the needle indicates several things:
"NF" is the overall length and the taper profile.
The 4th character tells the diameter of the upper straight portion.
The 3rd character indicates the height at which the taper starts. In the case of the NFPR vs. NFLR, the NFLR is one half step leaner in any clip position than the NFPR is. It's a very small difference.

Look in section 7 of the manual for a detailed explanation.

The leak jet's true function is to keep the accelerator pump from dumping gas into the engine when the throttle is opened slowly or partially. Some use it to tune the accelerator pump delivery, which works, but that's not the truly correct way to go about it. There's a link for that discussion in Common Threads, too.

Read up, and ask your questions. :worthy:

• yoshgixxer

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:14 AM

not suprised,but yet again you came through with a detailed explination of everything i need to know!! thanks for the link..im headed there now! :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.