Tall rider setup.

25 replies to this topic
  • mikedabike

Posted July 03, 2009 - 12:40 PM

I tried running low bars for a while thinking it would force me to ride with better body position. Didn't work for me. I could never get past the feeling of the bars being in my lap and it was just horrible for any type of trail riding. For reference I am 6'4".

• Two-Six

Posted July 03, 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have been to more than one race in my time, and most of them placed a much more focused emphasis on cornering than MX does. Everyone is different, but from experience with many years of flat track, TT ("steeplechase"), and speedway, where the race is entirely won or lost in the corners, there's no evidence to suggest that there is the least benefit to keeping your elbows up. Quite the contrary, insofar as cornering from the seated position is concerned. One has far more precise control with the elbows down.

Below is a picture of a guy who is pretty fast. Note his elbows and the forward position of the grips.

The "elbows up" thing was started as a way to minimize accidental steering inputs as you run through rough ground, and I know several rather "fast guys" who like their bars high for their size, compared with others.

But regardless, my point actually was that moving the bars forward was of the most benefit to both cornering and control in the standing position. The height was a secondary benefit when standing for long periods.

Posted Image

I agree 100% that tall guys benefit with bars being forward, I am running the same bend as you just rolled back a little. But I have to disagree that albows down helps cornering, but everyone is different.

• Two-Six

Posted July 03, 2009 - 05:34 PM

I tried running low bars for a while thinking it would force me to ride with better body position. Didn't work for me. I could never get past the feeling of the bars being in my lap and it was just horrible for any type of trail riding. For reference I am 6'4".

I forgot to say that low bars are mostly for MX, if I rode trails then for sure I would have my bars up a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mikesterktm

Posted August 01, 2009 - 12:41 AM

I am 6' 5" and i want to get a guts tall seat, but im not sure if i want the firm or the soft model. Is there a medium one? Is the firm one comparable to a stock ktm seat?
thanks guys

• Lankyrider

Posted August 01, 2009 - 01:06 AM

I am 6' 5" and i want to get a guts tall seat, but im not sure if i want the firm or the soft model. Is there a medium one? Is the firm one comparable to a stock ktm seat?
thanks guys

Yes there's a medium too. Compared with the KTM seat i think medium is the same.:thumbsup:

• dirtbikekidd

Posted August 02, 2009 - 03:32 PM

Thank You All For Your Opinions:worthy: :thumbsup:
I Decided to go with the windham bend and love it compared to my other bars!:worthy:

Happy Trails!:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.