Tall rider setup.

25 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikekidd

Posted July 01, 2009 - 06:39 AM

Sorry if this is a repost, i tried searching and could not find my answer.:worthy:
I have been considering getting a taller set of bars for awhile now, because i ride very aggressive desert, so i need to stand up for a while. Im at 6'3" and 215 lbs.
I was wondering what bars you tall guys like the best, the protapers windham bend or the protapers kx hi bend?
Any other suggestions would be awsome.:lol: :lol:

Regards,
Stacy

• kain522

Posted July 01, 2009 - 06:44 AM

I'm also 6'3, and I like the Windham bars. Never tried the KX bars, so I can't really say anything about them.

• dirtbikekidd

Posted July 01, 2009 - 06:50 AM

I'm also 6'3, and I like the Windham bars. Never tried the KX bars, so I can't really say anything about them.

Is that with the bars itself or with risers?
i am trying to stay away from riser, as i hear it makes cornering a little more difficult..

Regards,
Stacy

• wakin

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:42 AM

I have the KX High with 1" risors plus the bar adapter which is another 1/2" - 3/4" & the Fastway pegs in the lowboy position. I need the bars forward a little & it would be perfect. 6'4 here. I don't stand as much as I should though, bad knee makes it hard to make the transition.

• Wiz636

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:56 AM

I have the Windhams on my bike (I'm 6' 3") and my son has the KX Hi's on his YZ250 (he's 6'5") and in riding the two back to back they are pretty similar but I just slightly prefer the Windhams.

• WGP

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:09 AM

Pastrana FMX is what I use....

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 01, 2009 - 09:31 AM

I'm 6'3" 195lbs, use the scotts submount with offset triples, and charmichael evo's...Love it...

But I can ride stock bars comfortably too...It's my tall seat and wide pegs I can't do without...

My stock bars are about 74mm...
The scotts submount and tall risers add 25mm...
The Windham is 99mm (this seems to be the preference for tall guys without a submount)...
The KX high is 108mm
Factory Suzuki/KTM bend is 92mm...
The YZ high is 84mm...
The Carmichaels are 77mm with a similar sweep to the Windhams, so with the 25mm from the submount, it's at 102mm...PERFECT!

• kain522

Posted July 01, 2009 - 06:44 PM

Is that with the bars itself or with risers?
i am trying to stay away from riser, as i hear it makes cornering a little more difficult..

Regards,
Stacy

Just the bars. I'm running the stock top clamp/ riser. (04 YZ450)

• sloz71

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:14 PM

I am 6'5 and run the windham bend plus the risers along with the tall seat and the setup is perfect. I can stand without being bent over all day. The combo is necessary for us tall guys.

• mikedabike

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:15 PM

An aftermarket upper triple that moves the bars forward is also needed. The problem is too low and too close. I had a 04 with upper clamp, rc high bars, lowboy pegs and SDG tall seat. Completely transforms the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:39 PM

Windhams are bent so that the grip position is about a good inch farther forward than on a Reed or YZ bend.

• Lankyrider

Posted July 02, 2009 - 02:28 AM

Tall seat is very important, choose any brand you like, SDG,Guts Racing etc. also pay attention on how hard or soft you want it. As for handlebars you have to try some before you buy because the bends vary. I use RC High handlebars and Guts racing tall/hard seat. Stay away from lower footpegs such Fastway, stock are ok.

• davcon

Posted July 02, 2009 - 04:54 AM

Check this thread. http://www.thumperta...0228&highlight=

I went with the cheap risers to get an idea if i'd like raising the bars. Worked well for me.

• wakin

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:44 AM

Stay away from lower footpegs such Fastway, stock are ok.

Opinions vary - for me one of the best mods I've done. I hated the stock footpegs.

Also I have had both SDG & Guts tall seats, currently SDG. My SDG fits like crap on my 06, crooked & the mounting holes don't line up great. I'd recomend Guts over SDG.

• mike_dean

Posted July 02, 2009 - 08:06 AM

Opinions vary - for me one of the best mods I've done. I hated the stock footpegs.

Also I have had both SDG & Guts tall seats, currently SDG. My SDG fits like crap on my 06, crooked & the mounting holes don't line up great. I'd recomend Guts over SDG.

Fully agree with the lowered pegs, best tall guy mod. helps keep knees on the tank along with the forward and tall bars.

• Two-Six

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:00 PM

I have a 06 and I just run lowered foot pegs, tall bars hurt cornering. I didn't believe it at first until I tried it, I rolled my bars back a little in the clamps and hitting runs was 10 times easier. If you guys don't believe me just try it yourself. I'm 6'2 btw.

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:19 PM

... tall bars hurt cornering. I didn't believe it at first until I tried it, I rolled my bars back a little in the clamps and hitting runs was 10 times easier. If you guys don't believe me just try it yourself.

I'm not 6'2", but I've had the exact opposite experience. Don't know where your bars were, but...

http://www.thumperta...011#post6529011

• Two-Six

Posted July 03, 2009 - 07:57 AM

I'm not 6'2", but I've had the exact opposite experience. Don't know where your bars were, but...

http://www.thumperta...011#post6529011

I run Vortex bars which are the same bend as the Windhams you run its just I roll mine back a little. I tried lowering my bars because a local pro who is 6'6 had his bars lower than mine and I thought that couldn't be normal. I asked him about it and he said it's easier to corner so I tried it and now I am a believer. Go to a race and look at the bike set ups between the fast guys and the slower guys. Most fast guys have lower bars and most slower guys run really tall bars. The lower bars help keep elbows up.

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Go to a race and look at the bike set ups between the fast guys and the slower guys. Most fast guys have lower bars and most slower guys run really tall bars. The lower bars help keep elbows up.

I have been to more than one race in my time, and most of them placed a much more focused emphasis on cornering than MX does. Everyone is different, but from experience with many years of flat track, TT ("steeplechase"), and speedway, where the race is entirely won or lost in the corners, there's no evidence to suggest that there is the least benefit to keeping your elbows up. Quite the contrary, insofar as cornering from the seated position is concerned. One has far more precise control with the elbows down.

Below is a picture of a guy who is pretty fast. Note his elbows and the forward position of the grips.

The "elbows up" thing was started as a way to minimize accidental steering inputs as you run through rough ground, and I know several rather "fast guys" who like their bars high for their size, compared with others.

But regardless, my point actually was that moving the bars forward was of the most benefit to both cornering and control in the standing position. The height was a secondary benefit when standing for long periods.

Posted Image

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:30 AM

My bars being higher and rolled forward a bit definitely improved my cornering...But I'm not at race pace either...
It's more of a comfort/fit issue with me than performance...If you're racing only, sure maybe the low bars will be OK...But if you're riding trails all day long, and are a tall guy you'll definitely benefit from the body positioning tall bars provide...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.