Handlebars and Vibes - what works best

14 replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted July 01, 2009 - 01:01 AM

Not long after I bought my bike I posted this after finding the bike rather more vibey than expected.

http://www.thumperta...8332&highlight=

(I had a 2004 model briefly and it was the same) Since then I swapped the bars from the DRZ and the vibes disappeared completely! Well, apart from the pegs and seat but no so noticeable now.

Unfortunately a heavy fall bent the bars and some new ones needed, so some CR high Renthals fitted, a similar shape to the DRZ Dakar-type bend renthals, but less sweep.

Certainly less vibes than the original stock renthals but not as good as the bent DRZ ones. The DRZ bars were at least 5 years old, and were actually thicker walled than normal 7/8 bars – I had to bore them out about 1mm to fit my bark busters.

So, the thicker wall obviously worked well to damp the vibes.

I stuck a 300g weight on the left bark buster, as an experiment, and vibes completely gone! The weight was quite noticeable so strapped on 150g of lead each side. Vibes modest and completely unnoticeable on a long ride, but even this weight could be felt so not an ideal solution.

I’m wondering if oversized braceless bars would be better, as the bar resonant frequency would presumably be lower as the free length is longer?

Has anyone fitted braceless to a pre-07 model and noticed an improvement?

Thanks

Steve

• thedktor

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:28 PM

Guess thats a no then ....... :worthy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 04, 2009 - 01:23 AM

There are several products on the market that insert inside the bars to add mass to the end of the bars, to absorb or low the resonant frequency of the vibration. You found this out on your own.

Using mild steel bars like the the ones on the DRZ is not recommended, because they can leave you stranded if you fall hard enough.

• thedktor

Posted July 04, 2009 - 10:28 PM

There are several products on the market that insert inside the bars to add mass to the end of the bars, to absorb or low the resonant frequency of the vibration. You found this out on your own.

Yes, indeed. Unfortunately they are not so readily available here in the UK, and the cost could be excessive to ship over. I think some more experiments are needed with silicon, buck shot and lumps of lead....

Using mild steel bars like the the ones on the DRZ is not recommended, because they can leave you stranded if you fall hard enough.

Yes agreed, but I should clarify that the bars were Renthal ali - not the original bendy DRZ bars.

Steve

• graazzy

Posted July 04, 2009 - 11:58 PM

I must say i haven't really noticed any vibes at all .

• Andrejs2112

Posted July 05, 2009 - 03:58 AM

My 03 is vibey. After a long ride my hand tingles for about a day or two. Interested in a remedy...

• DIX

Posted July 05, 2009 - 06:07 AM

I filled my protapers with expanding foam and found a signifficant improvement in vibes. I also added a set of bark busters that further reduced the vibs a bit.

I highly recommend the foam thing as the cost is minimal and it realy does work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 05, 2009 - 08:45 AM

The key to reducing motor vibes is either changing the motor mounts to be more flexy, or adding mass to the handlebar ends. The later is much easier.

Silicone, expanding foam, etc, will make minimal change.

A solid brass or steel insert held in by Silicone works great. It just has to be symetrically placed on each side, and deep enough for hand guard expanding bar mounts.

Shove a wad/wads of blue tape in the bar end first, placing it in just past where the insert will live. Do this to block off the cavity so the Silicone will stay in the bar ends, and not migrate as it dries. Then insert the metal insert, and fill up the void with silicone.

You can do it on the bike, if you do one side at a time, with the bike leaned over one it's side for gravity assistance.

If you use lead, make sure you use gloves.

• NMNORGE

Posted July 05, 2009 - 02:40 PM

You should not feel any vibes on the throttle side (plastic tube). I felt more vibes with the stock bars (left side) until I replaced them with a fat/twinwall design with Protaper 1 1/8 inch adapters. Why the vibration reduced...I'm not sure.

• Navaho6

Posted July 05, 2009 - 06:13 PM

See post # 1278 !

http://www.thumperta...ht=#post8048625

I've tried every trick out there. I had to. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome put a stop to my riding for almost two years. Nothing else works like bar end weights. I took it one step further with this custom mod and results were fantastic. Haven't had any problems since.

• jolleyr

Posted July 12, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Suspension?????? I have never had vibration issues with my bike after I had the suspension professional revalved and resprung. Not a super cheap fix. I guess it depends what terrain your are experiencing the problem on??

• waterman7474

Posted July 13, 2009 - 09:56 AM

See post # 1278 !

I've tried every trick out there. I had to. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome put a stop to my riding for almost two years. Nothing else works like bar end weights. I took it one step further with this custom mod and results were fantastic. Haven't had any problems since.

so, is it possible to use bar end weights with hand guards that attach to the ends of the bars...?

• thedktor

Posted July 14, 2009 - 09:42 PM

OK, so an update on this. Firstly I would say that anyone with vibe problems should try some higher bars as this definitely reduces the problem.

I am going to try filling the ends of the bars with lead shot mixed with silicon sealant - not the whole bar. Experimenting, 6” deep is about 150g, so that will be the first try.

You should not feel any vibes on the throttle side (plastic tube). I felt more vibes with the stock bars (left side) until I replaced them with a fat/twinwall design with Protaper 1 1/8 inch adapters. Why the vibration reduced...I'm not sure.

Interesting, thanks. If all else fails I may go this route. And yes, the vibration on the throttle side is hardly noticeable, though you can feel it through the brake lever.

See post # 1278 !

That is some impressive metalwork!

I’m not surprised it works so well but the weight must be noticeable? If it works for your Carpal Tunnel then it’s a small price to pay eh.

Will update on the lead shot experiments soon…

- Steve.

• The-Extractor

Posted July 15, 2009 - 08:20 AM

I have an 03 with 1-1/8 pro taper bars with a riser and acerbis alum hadguards and my vibes are super minimal.:worthy:

• thedktor

Posted July 28, 2009 - 11:02 PM

So, continuing the experiments, I bought some lead shot to stick in the bars.

Where to get lead shot was the first problem, but a quick search and it seems divers use the stuff for weight and its available in abundance! £3 for half a kilo, plenty.

I push down the plugs in the end of the bars to the point where the bars bend, which gave a 6” length of bar to fill, with enough space to fit the bark busters.

Pour in about 150g in each side, mixed in with silicon sealant to stick it all together. And leave to dry…

Out for a test ride after a couple of days, and godam it there is not one tiny bit of difference! If anything its added vibration to the throttle side, which was vibe free! :ride:

Hook out all the shot and fill the whole bar with silicon sealant. Leave to dry and a subsequent test ride shows that did nothing either! :worthy:

Hmmm…

As a final experiment, I undid all the engine mounts to check for any tension or mis-alignment. The bottom mount had a bout a 1mm gap, so popped a washer in there, stuck a jack under the engine so it was nice and “loose” in the frame, and torqued up the bolts again.

Up the road and sweet FA difference again! :foul: :banana: :ride:

So, the only options left are to stick lead weights on the bark-busters again, which did work very well, or try some oversize brace-less bars.

I should point out that on a recent TRF event where I spent the whole day riding on road, trail and a woods track I didn’t notice the vibration at all!! :thumbsup:

The point being that the vibes are obviously not that bad and you do get used to them after a short time….

Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.