99 wr400-Extremely Hard to Kick!!

3 replies to this topic
  • KYKID69

Posted June 30, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Scored a 1999 wr400 last weekend and can't get the thing started at all!:lol: I am familiar with the starting procedure because my brother has the exact same bike and starting his is no sweat. A lot of the time I can't even get a full kick and it stops mid way down almost breaking my foot in half(wearing boots). So i'm pretty frustrated with it :worthy: It seems to have tons of compression. Do I need a 300lb friend to start this thing?

What is causing this thing to be so hard to kick? Is it essential to install the hot cam exhaust on these things???:lol: :lol:

• matt4x4

Posted June 30, 2009 - 09:15 AM

you're OBVIOUSLY NOT familiar with the starting procedure and your brother's bike has tight valves or worn rings or the auto decomp cam installed.......

The way to start the bike is:

Kick down to where it won't go anymore (the point where your foot breaks in half - yes - it's supposed to do that in stock form)
Now look by your left hand, you got this little lever right there - no, not the clutch - smaller - and probably black, you probably think it's a hot start lever.....
Well, now that the kicker has stopped, pull this little lever and I like to move the kicker another inch or so - just a little. Release the lever, bring the kicker up and kick it through nice and solid and fast just once (don't blip the throttle, matter of fact - don't even put your hand on the throttle - rest it on the tank).
A properly set up bike will come to life immediately.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2009 - 11:26 AM

Watch, learn:

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

• flyer05

Posted June 30, 2009 - 05:42 PM

I thought mine was gone break my leg at times. I did install the hot cams with auto de-comp and I will not go back. To each it's own but for me, hot cams are the way to go on these manual de-comp bikes. And I did get the magic super duper sequence down just right where it did not break my leg, even with flip- flops on.
Good luck with this great bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.