2007 YZ250 suspension onto a 2007 WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • shrubitup

Posted June 30, 2009 - 08:32 AM

Will it fit?

Mine is completely sprung/re-valved for me. This is from the two stroke variety. I'm :lol: about a '07 WR450F brand new for a low price!

However, I like my suspension and I'm not sure I can live without the Rekluse or my plate but I've never been hassled by LEO wherever I ride anyway. Also, this is the same suspension that comes with the YZ450F from the same year.

Humor me if you will (or won't). :worthy:

If I can't swap it over then maybe I'll just keep smoking. Also, is this bikes ergos larger than a 250F? I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs and would like some engine braking and a bit more tractor low end. :lol:

• hxw5223

Posted June 30, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Where are you getting a 450 for $3899? Haven't seen them cheap around here...

• shrubitup

Posted June 30, 2009 - 04:41 PM

If I let the cat out of the bag then SJMC_Don's WR won't sell and you might buy the one I'm considering. :worthy:

• hxw5223

Posted June 30, 2009 - 05:16 PM

Doh!:worthy: As far as swapping suspensions, you would have to at least respring and maybe even re-valve for the additional weight the wr450 carries. The front fork on the wr450 is, I believe, the previous generation YZ (2005) fork. However it can be made real plush for single track riding. I redid my sister's 2007 Wr250 with Moto Pro suspension and it rides like a couch, she loves it on rough trails. My 2006 YZ450 is also redone and it also works good, maybe slightly less plush. Really depends on what you are planning to ride on mainly. The rear shock I believe is the same, the YZ has a Ti spring and the WR a steel one and valved for application. Hope this helps.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 30, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Erickdj has a complete YZ 450 suspension on his WR 450f. Apparently it was direct bolt on.

I know the YZ 250 has the same type of fork as the YZ 450f but the overall length, valving, and spring rates may be different.

I thought the WR 450f was too slow for you?

The bike has cramped ergos stock. Taller bars and a tall seat foam are the remedies.

• shrubitup

Posted June 30, 2009 - 11:14 PM

I thought the WR 450f was too slow for you?

The bike has cramped ergos stock. Taller bars and a tall seat foam are the remedies.

The 2005 model I rode was a dog as noted. It must be in absolute shit tune because it still don't run right. A properly tuned WR450F has got to be fast/pull hard - there's just no two ways about it. :worthy:

But at this price - even if I did lose my suspension I'd just haul the WR boingers into LT Racing for another set up job. However - no Rekluse and no plate either. :lol:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:51 AM

I keep both my functional (but older) 450 and yz250 bikes. I think you'll definitely have to put new springs in the forks because its about 40lbs heavier.

Regarding the rekluse, you'll need it on the the yz for sure. But on the wr450, its nice, but not necessary. That bike will not shut off as quickly and when it does, you'll hit that little grey button. This even works when you are sliding backwards on nastly loose hill! Also, when climbing those hills, you will get much more traction.

I love the rekluse on my yz, but haven't yet seen the need to put in on my wr.

Not having the plate will suck... that's your biggest issue.

• shrubitup

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:40 AM

I keep both my functional (but older) 450 and yz250 bikes. I think you'll definitely have to put new springs in the forks because its about 40lbs heavier.

Regarding the rekluse, you'll need it on the the yz for sure. But on the wr450, its nice, but not necessary. That bike will not shut off as quickly and when it does, you'll hit that little grey button. This even works when you are sliding backwards on nastly loose hill! Also, when climbing those hills, you will get much more traction.

I love the rekluse on my yz, but haven't yet seen the need to put in on my wr.

Not having the plate will suck... that's your biggest issue.

Thanks for the note. That's what I was thinking too on the Rekluse vs. non-Rekluse issue for the WR. It's a must have on the YZ for woods work (all I ever ride). The hills on my YZ are 50/50. Most difficult ones I ace but the really tough ones I just dig ruts.

Maurice, having both, can you loft the front wheel at will with the WR? If so, what's your weight?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrzDasher

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:47 AM

I'm 220 with gear and my 04 will lift up like a pony with a twist of the wrist.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 01, 2009 - 10:10 AM

If I let the cat out of the bag then SJMC_Don's WR won't sell and you might buy the one I'm considering. :worthy:

Yes... please! Someone buy my bike :lol:

Loft the front wheel? Who's WR WON'T loft the front wheel?

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 01, 2009 - 11:05 AM

Loft the front wheel? Who's WR WON'T loft the front wheel?

Someone who's afraid turning the throttle :worthy:

• shrubitup

Posted July 01, 2009 - 11:17 AM

Someone who's afraid turning the throttle :lol:

This is coming from a heavyweight! :lol:

Fat asses would like to know if they too can see heaven once the throttle is applied. Every 250F giggles at my desire for a power wheelie. However, we're talking fo fiddy's here - which better be true! :worthy:

So the plate don't go, the Rekluse don't go, and the suspension don't go either. Still, it's a good price - prolly only hafta do up the suspension and then start :lol:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 01, 2009 - 12:39 PM

This is coming from a heavyweight! :lol:

Fat asses would like to know if they too can see heaven once the throttle is applied. Every 250F giggles at my desire for a power wheelie. However, we're talking fo fiddy's here - which better be true! :worthy:

So the plate don't go, the Rekluse don't go, and the suspension don't go either. Still, it's a good price - prolly only hafta do up the suspension and then start :lol:

You've got nothing to worry about. Once its unplugged the power is there to lift the front wheel in every gear. Heck even corked up it'll raise the front tire in the first 3.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 01, 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the note. That's what I was thinking too on the Rekluse vs. non-Rekluse issue for the WR. It's a must have on the YZ for woods work (all I ever ride). The hills on my YZ are 50/50. Most difficult ones I ace but the really tough ones I just dig ruts.

Maurice, having both, can you loft the front wheel at will with the WR? If so, what's your weight?

right now, I'm down 25lbs to 200lbs without gear :worthy:

The WR will loft the front wheel, no problem. Just get your jetting right. I tend to lug mine around and tractor it a lot. But the wr's like to rev a little bit. Just throw you weight back a little, unload the suspension and just hammer the throttle. I don't think the motor spins up as quickly as a yz, but it will get it up if you commit to it..

You'll love the suspension on the wr though. You won't have to loft it as much, IMO, because that heavier bike with more torque and traction will try to roll over almost everything. Just load and then unload the front as you hit the object and blip the throttle.

You'll be surprised at what it will do.

• shrubitup

Posted July 01, 2009 - 02:14 PM

^^ It's nice to have friends who ride Yamaha's and can tell it to you like it is. :worthy:

• shrubitup

Posted July 02, 2009 - 06:53 AM

Where are you getting a 450 for $3899? Haven't seen them cheap around here...

Well, :worthy:

Renton Motorcycles has them for $3,899. Stock numbers 450021 and 450022. 1-866-412-5314.

I've reasoned that my YZ is more recession proof than a new to me WR.:banana:

All the goodies on my YZ including the plate will help to sell it if I get canned at work.:banana: Boss of mine is quite cantankerous lately and I just gotta be safe. :banana:

I'm gonna throw more money at the situation and get a 18" rear wheel with trials tire. If I still dig ruts then I'm getting a WR damn fast before they sell out!!!!:banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.