Help, my starter turns the wrong direction.

5 replies to this topic
  • cyclebender

Posted June 29, 2009 - 01:03 PM

Need help understanding my starter. I originally posted that the starter in my 2003 was turning in the wrong direction after I removed it to install new brushes. A member replied back that my magnet case “yoke” was installed backwards. Removed the starter and flipped the yoke around (now looks like image in manual) but the same results. Removing the started cover clearly shows the started spinning in the opposite direction it needs to turn the motor. I don’t have a clue what’s wrong, any body, please help. Thanks

• Trailryder42

Posted June 29, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Could you have misconnected some wiring to the starter somewhere, like at the relay? Accidently misconnecting + to - and visa versa won't hurt anything, it will just make the motor spin in the opposite direction.

• cyclebender

Posted June 29, 2009 - 02:20 PM

Thanks, I double checked the wires, they are connected correctly. Still looking for the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted June 29, 2009 - 03:40 PM

Try rotating the magnets. The orientation is important. I realize it's a little late but in the future it's a good idea to mark the pieces so they go back the same.

• cyclebender

Posted June 30, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Thanks, loosen the two screws holding the starter togather, rotated the yoke 180 degrees, tighten bolts, and the starter now spins correctly. You were right about marking each part before you take it apart, sure would have saved me some time.

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 30, 2009 - 04:39 PM

You were right about marking each part before you take it apart, sure would have saved me some time.

Yeah. Don't ask me how I know!:worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.