07 wr450f road registering in Tassie

3 replies to this topic
  • homer2000

Posted June 28, 2009 - 04:20 PM

hey everybody, getting my bike licence, maybe

But ive heard that you cant ride the 450s on your ls on the road, even though i probly wont ride it on the road, parents would be more happy about me getting one if i said i would, but dad says you cant ride them on ls,
he says should get a 250f for my ls then buy a 450 down the track, but by that time i wont have the cash to get a 450f , ill be stuck without power like i am now on my 230, so any suggestions

• vomitbomb

Posted June 28, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hey buddy,

I believe the Tasmanian laws have changed like the VIC ones, whereas you couldn't ride bikes over 250cc's. It is now done on the LAMS scheme. Last time I checked in VIC you could ride a WR450 on your learners.

Taken from the motorcycle handbook for Tassy:

"new and improved pre-learner and pre-provisional training courses which have more emphasis on thinking
skills and hazard perception
a minimum continuous period of 6 months for learner motorcyclists before they are eligible for their
provisional licence

an increase to the minimum age for getting a motorcycle learner licence from 16 years to 16 years and 6 months

a power to weight scheme (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme i.e. LAMS) for learners and all riders in their first year after progressing from a motorcycle learner licence which replaced the 250cc maximum
engine capacity restriction"

Go here:

The WR450F is LAMS approved

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted June 29, 2009 - 08:42 PM

yes the 450 is now lams approved, used to be only 400 but you simply had to write a letter and you would get an exemption, but you should be right....and so is Dad possibly...the 230 is a top bike but a fun bike and the WR 250 is perfect to do your 'apprenticeship' on....

but if you have been riding a while and are big enough to handle a 450... you 'll love it

• homer2000

Posted June 29, 2009 - 08:52 PM

yeh ive been riding for a while, yeh the 230 is a good bike, but some of the riding i do, it just seems a bit hard on the bike because the suspension isnt very good, been riding for around 7-8 years, had a few different bikes, but the 450 seems to be the option.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.