03 WR450 water in oil

12 replies to this topic
  • coyo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 07:01 AM

I'm a new owner to this bike and have it (currently) in SM trim.

The previous owner has devised some manner that put a hose onto the water pump weep hole and routed it up to the head stock area of the bike for overflow.

Yesterday I was on an SM track. It was a hot day and the bike ran strong but at one point while waiting to go I was probably idling too long and noticed water (water wetter) coming from this overflow line. I shut down and all was good, chalked it up to getting a bit too hot.

A friend was trying out the bike and reported that while wheelying down the back strait he got some mist in the face, I'm assuming it was water coming from the overflow line again.

I checked the oil at the dipstick and it was milky/frothy so with that combination, called it a day. The oil in the crankcase looked OK.

This morning I took a look in the crankcase and it's VERY milky in there. The coolant bottle is down a fair bit but there's still a bit in there.

I know I need to do the water pump but is there any way to check (without tearing apart) to see if what I've got in my oil is a result of the water pump seal, the head gasket or (shudder) a cracked head?

• coyo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 05:52 PM

The fitting and hose tapped into the weep hole;

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is what came out of the engine... I'm not amused;

Posted Image

• jokerflingo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 06:40 PM

]And this is what came out of the engine... I'm not amused;

MMMM, Chocolate Milk :worthy:

• naroy2

Posted June 28, 2009 - 07:23 PM

I'm not for sure myself but would be interested in what the pop can that is zip tied to the frame is for??

• coyo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 08:10 PM

I'm not for sure myself but would be interested in what the pop can that is zip tied to the frame is for??

An interim catch can.

• C-P

Posted June 28, 2009 - 08:32 PM

Um, isn't the weep hole there to let you know when the water pump is bad? Why on earth would anyone go to that trouble to attach a hose and redirect it instead of just replacing the seal, impeller shaft, etc?
Any way, I'd start with the seal. Do a search and you'll see it's a very common problem. Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coyo

Posted June 28, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Um, isn't the weep hole there to let you know when the water pump is bad? Why on earth would anyone go to that trouble to attach a hose and redirect it instead of just replacing the seal, impeller shaft, etc?
Any way, I'd start with the seal. Do a search and you'll see it's a very common problem. Good luck!

I've no idea the reason... the amount of weep needed to show me that there was a problem is staggering! That I had water spouting from there is troubling. I guess another question is; how much water (water wetter) would it take to do that to the oil and what kind of damage could it have caused?

• harvmushman

Posted June 29, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Big time rig job. The weep hole must have started leaking to let him know the seal was bad. Instead he tapped it and routed that hose. Now the water pump seal is probably REALLY bad.
It doesn't take a lot of water to turn oil that color. My suggestion (and only my two cents):
- Fix water pump correctly
- get rid of that tap and hose
- flush engine a few times with some oil. May take a few to get rid of coloration
- run engine as it is, if no other problems crop up. Just live with whatever damage hs been done. (What's your alternative? rip it open and go through it!)

• C-P

Posted June 29, 2009 - 09:04 PM

What he said exactly ^^^^^these engines are pretty tough, get the water to stay in the right place and see what you've got. I'm guessing it wasn't blowing smoke really bad or anything yet. EDIT: and be sure to do the impeller shaft when you replace the seal. Someone posted the parts list here a while back, you'll find it if you search.

• coyo

Posted June 29, 2009 - 09:42 PM

I've got seals ordered and have already dumped some oil through the crackcase (without starting, just flushing). I'll get some more cheap oil and flush a bit more then throw a oil/filter change through. Change again after a quick run. I'm ordering seals and the shaft from the US for spares and if the shaft needs it but I just want to ride the bike... prices are over double up here in Canada.

• coyo

Posted July 09, 2009 - 12:29 PM

I finally got the parts in today and replaced the water pump... easy job.

All would be good but I think I've found another problem. When aligning the impeller shaft end with the balancer end slot I found that the slot was not nice and straight as pictured here (#3);

Posted Image

Rather it was kind of oblong. There was definite play in the impeller when assembled. Is this normal or am I looking at a new balancer?????

• coyo

Posted July 09, 2009 - 12:50 PM

And thinking about it, providing it wasn't already damaged prior to my tear down, I think I know how it may have happened;

Having read that you can change the outer seal without removing the side cover and perhaps mis-reading the manual, I removed the impeller while the side cover was still on which required me to put the bike in gear and brace the rear wheel... I'm gonna be pissed if I have to replace the balancer.

• coyo

Posted July 10, 2009 - 08:23 PM

No one?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.