vermont registration for bikes

8 replies to this topic
  • Stew

Posted September 13, 2002 - 05:43 PM


About five or six months ago read some posts on guys who were gettng their bikes registered in Vermont instead of their home state. What is he advantage of registering in Vermont, and how do you do it??cost??

  • Angus

Posted September 14, 2002 - 06:13 AM


Stew.....Go to Click on the 4 strokes only logo....Then scroll down the left side of the page to state regrestration info. click on it and look up vermont.....It has all the instructions, web addresses, ph. numbers ect that you need.......Hope this helps Angus..

  • DR.Zaius

Posted September 14, 2002 - 08:47 AM


I don't think Vermont is giving out these plates to just anyone anymore??? I emailed them a few weeks ago they said it could be done, BUT you would need to go to vermont and get it inspected. :)

  • joe_moto

Posted September 14, 2002 - 01:07 PM


I also heard they weren`t doing out of state reg.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woodsrider426

Posted September 15, 2002 - 03:26 AM


About a 2 weeks ago I received my registration papers back from Vermont and I was denied. The letter from Vermont stated that the DMV doesn't register vehicles for off road only. I heard from other people that Vermont no longer registers off road vehicles. Luckily I was able to go to a local DMV and I guess they were so busy they didn't notice the title and they gave me a plate for my 02 WR426. Tony

  • cetris

Posted September 15, 2002 - 03:32 AM


Anyone know if this is true? I got my plate & registration from them earlier this year (I am in North Carolina). No inspection was necessary. Everything was via US Mail. I completed the forms and sent them the necessary documents (original MSO and copy of my sales reciept) and they sent me a VT plate, registration, and new title in the mail.

To answer the original question in this thread, the reason for going to VT is that they will issue a title/registration in spite of the fact that the MSO for most offroad bikes states, "Not For Highway Use". Most states will not give you a title if the MSO says that. After you get your VT title, which makes no reference to "Not For Highway Use", you go to your home state DMV office and get the title transferred to your state. I hope VT is still doing this, I'd like to be able to do the same thing with my next bike too.

I also heard they weren`t doing out of state reg.

  • PumpkinHumper

Posted September 15, 2002 - 07:08 AM


Michigan is pretty leniant on registering bikes. Pretty much if you have a headlight,tailight,brakelight,mirror, & horn you can get a plate. You still have to get it inspected.

I know a lot of states are a bit tougher to get them passed. I got my yz400 street legal this year.

  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted September 15, 2002 - 02:48 PM


Here's a couple of quotes from a reliable source on the WDSRC bulletin board.

June 18, 2002:
"Yep, I just got word today from one of my customers; as of June 1st. the state of Vermont will no longer issue tags and titles to non-street legal dirt bikes. My customer submitted his request in March and they have made him jump through hoops to get it done. They told him today that as of June 1st they will no longer do this and that they were only doing it for him because he had his request submitted in March!"

June 24, 2002"
"I had a nice chat with Amy at the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. And I am sorry to report that the "Vermont method" [of vehicle titling] is history! We weren't the only people using Vermont; California and Connecticut also had many people applying for Vermont titles for converted dirt bikes. Once the Legislature found out what was going on they changed their law to prohibit future converted dirt bike titling."


[ September 15, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Rich in Orlando ]

  • Guest__*

Posted September 19, 2002 - 02:09 AM


i just got my crf registered for the street in Vermont...just two weeks ago.
My MSO was Canadian so it didn't specify "for off-road use only" on it. This is what made things easier. Had it been an american bike, I would have to go to Vermont to have the bike inspected with all the street gear on it, in order to get it registered.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.