Bike dies while idling....help

5 replies to this topic
  • bendover932

Posted June 27, 2009 - 08:48 AM

07 450 ...east coast sea level...stock other than a drd full system and twin ai air filter... Bought it used it had a fmf jet kit installed when I got it ... Ran ok but not as well as I thought it should ... So after looking through the jetting database on here .. decided to take out the Kit ... See if the o ring mod wAs done or srping... And reinstall a oem 170 main .. 48 piolot.... stock needle in the 4th spot...while I had the carb off I went to get the merge spring but they were out and only had the r&d bowl/kit that came with one ... Got a good deal so I installed that too... Now I set the adjustable leak per the paper that came with it to match the stock leak jet ... Only I took it for I ride... And it ran ok but it stalled near idle while turning .... And doesn't want to idle... It will idle for a second or 2 then die like you hit the kill button... If you try to give it gas normally it dies right away.... But it as soon as you start it you get it past idle it will stay running.... I've checked for air leaks... None.., messed with the fuel screw... Nothing... Could it be the leak adjustment?... I'm new to these carbs I'm a 2 stroke guy ..... Don't realy know where to start with all these extra circuits not on 2strokes... Thanks in advance !

• bendover932

Posted June 27, 2009 - 04:43 PM

update....i tore it apart and put the jets/needle back in it i took out,removed the rd bowl and all the parts that went with it with he parts that were on it while it was running normally....except its still acting the same way as it was with the changesi made.....im baffled....triple checked everything/possible air leaks..nothing....what the heck could be going on??

• bigred455

Posted June 30, 2009 - 06:30 PM

First off a 160 main is stock for the 07,that is not your problem,but put that back in. Especially for this hot weather,also put the stock 45 pilot back in with the stock needle ,stock clip pos. How old is the gas? is your idle set correctly? The 160 main and 45 pilot with the needle is pretty darn close at are level. By any chance,did you have the slide out? clean out all the jet passages and use compressed air following up. Check the vent tubes on the carb for blockage,after market gas cap tube get rid of it if you have one and use the stock hose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 30, 2009 - 11:02 PM

I think I came across an update on this in the intake forum and the problem just went away on it's own...
Maybe bad fuel???

• bendover932

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:24 AM

I don't think it was....early in the process while the tank was off I drained and removed petcock.. New gas ... And still did it afterwards...I never found anything wrong... I just walked in the garage started it up after distancing myself from it for a day and it ran normally... But I really won't know for sure till I actually ride it this weekend...musta been gremlins... And they've moved on... Lol

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:32 AM

I don't think it was....early in the process while the tank was off I drained and removed petcock.. New gas ... And still did it afterwards...I never found anything wrong... I just walked in the garage started it up after distancing myself from it for a day and it ran normally... But I really won't know for sure till I actually ride it this weekend...musta been gremlins... And they've moved on... Lol

Lol...I hate it when those gremlins do that...Then you constantly have the fear of the bike dying while out on a trail somewhere...
Let us know how it goes after the weekend...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.