the bends

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 28, 2001 - 05:25 AM

There are a million or so handle bars out there. Can anyone tell me what the different width sweep and rise can do for the rider? I don't have a long reach and am 5'-8" on a good day.

• David_W

Posted March 28, 2001 - 05:44 AM

Whatever feels best! Higher rise / flatter sweep can give a bigger rider more room on a bike, wider bars can give more control and leverage (but your body will act like an airbrake at speed!). Sit on your bike and think what you would prefer to change (if anything) and get on the renthal ( website. You should be able to make some comparisons. I've got YZ250 renthals on my WR (same as stock, I think).

'00 WR400F, YZ Timing, FMF Power Core IV2

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 28, 2001 - 07:09 AM

Mike, You see we DO have something in common, im also 5'8. I personaly dont like bars that sweep back so much, I tend to like the straighter bends, I feel it gives me more control but its all preference. I use a Pro-taper "Doug Henery" bend which I really like alot. The bend keeps my elbows up in a good attack position. Do you have a top triple clamp for regular bars or Pro-tapers? If you have a set up for regular bars you can have my Renthal "Jeremy" bends, I really like those too buy I dont use them any more, let me know if you could use them... :) Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mojo

Posted March 28, 2001 - 07:48 AM

Any thoughts on the Universal Adapter to use Pro Tapers? I'm a bit taller than you and Mike (6-03) and have heard the Henry bend is a good choice. I don't really want to dump the cash on a new triple clamp.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 28, 2001 - 09:44 AM

The problem with the universal adapter or even the 'standard' (Applied Racing +10mm)bar mounts is that as the bars are raised they are also brought back, closer to the rider. Try the Thumper Racing bar risers - they look kinda goofy IMO but the change in ergos is well worth the funny looks & money.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 28, 2001 - 05:14 PM

Mojo, Im with Brian on the adapters, Ron in Socal is much taller than I and he rode my bike and said that he really liked them alot. You might want to pack your lunch for a month and save up for the Scotts set-up. Im sure you would like it, Good luck, Dan

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.