Metal or Poly Skid Plate

8 replies to this topic
  • jivenene

Posted June 26, 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hi all,

I just looked at my 1999 wr400, and it looks naked without a skid plate. i have searched a lot about plates, but still cannot decide on one. The main question is should i get aluminum or plastic? The Hyde Racing plate is intriguing, but my main worry is that the side wings by the cases will bend easily and allow rock-to-case contact, whereas a metal plate would not bend as easily. I would like as much side protection a possible, as i have been known to lay the bike down repeatedly.

Can anyone tell me how rigid that Hyde Racing plate is? I contacted them through their website, but he did not answer that question, and seemed rather bothered by my inquiry.

Also, how many skids does Utah Sport Cycle make? i count MSR, MOOSE, Baja Designs, Thumpertalk, and BRP which i guess is 5 (not sure about BRP). What about the one that Steahly Offroad sells? Can anyone list the brands that they manufacture so i know which ones are identical and can then shop on just price.

Thanks for all the help.

• ears2244

Posted June 27, 2009 - 09:51 AM

I have the Hyde skid plate on my WR and it holds up awesome! It will handle anything you throw at it, and that's when I lived in CO and hit repeated boulders and logs. Get the Hyde

• jivenene

Posted June 27, 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have the Hyde skid plate on my WR and it holds up awesome! It will handle anything you throw at it, and that's when I lived in CO and hit repeated boulders and logs. Get the Hyde

Thanks for the opinion. Where did you get it and how much? Is it rigid? what material can you compare it to? is it kind of like that plastic bedliner material for trucks? I just don't want any surprises when i open the box. I am in hawaii, and we tend to have some really sharp rocks out here, so i am worried about the plate getting gouged away, whereas aluminum would hold up better i think.

• buzzgrizz

Posted June 27, 2009 - 07:50 PM

get a devol i have one on my 426 and it has been flawless

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted June 27, 2009 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the opinion. Where did you get it and how much? Is it rigid? what material can you compare it to? is it kind of like that plastic bedliner material for trucks? I just don't want any surprises when i open the box. I am in hawaii, and we tend to have some really sharp rocks out here, so i am worried about the plate getting gouged away, whereas aluminum would hold up better i think.

I love Hyde Skid Plates. They are just as tough if not tougher than aluminum. Sure you can gouge the plastic but just like you can gouge aluminum. The nice thing about the Hyde plates is that it is slippery and gives just a bit so the damage to the plate isn't as great. Don't worry about breaking it or gouging cracks into it. If you do then you must be doing something terribly wrong. The shock absorption properties also reduce the amount of shock to your bike and yourself whereas with aluminum it gets transmitted all the way through. It's kind of like a truck bedliner only more slippery and flexible. It's kind of between a truck bedliner and a thick mudflap. It is also much lighter than aluminum, helps quiet the bike, and does not adversely affect the handling of the bike(like an aluminum skid plate can). I got my first one for a WR450F on Ebay for only $50 brand new, yeah I know that was a great deal. I got a used one for a WR250F locally for only $25 but it was definitely used.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 27, 2009 - 10:40 PM

If I was partial to poly I would have kept the stocker on the bike.

Aluminium FTW!

• kskyles

Posted June 29, 2009 - 12:40 PM

the utah sportcycle skid plate is a beastly tough hunk of metal. i've had two of them on my bikes, and i really like them. the hangers that come with them are a bit of a pain, though.

i like the devol plate i have now, it's a direct bolt on.

i'm thinking about the flatland racing plate for my next one.

i've never had a plastic one. they look like they can take some abuse...but i feel more comfortable with aluminum. unfortunately, i'm completely ignorant when it comes to poly based skid plates. i'm sure there is some significant weight savings.

• jivenene

Posted June 30, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Well, i think i am feeling adventurous, and will try to get the Hyde plate. After all, they do say SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. Aluminum plates are proven, but Jay at Hyde Racing gave me a list of racers that use the Hyde:

"Racers that pay to use Hyde skid plates:
Damon Huffmon, Jamie Lanza and the rest of the Kawasaki factory Off-road and ISDE team. Factory BMW David Knight and the other European guys.
Glen Kearney Factory Husqvarna. Scott Myers Top Kawasaki Baja guy. Half of the US Endurocross field, and I could go on but I'm busy."

Now i don't know who any of those people are, but he couldn't have possibly made them all up! Anyways, just because aluminum is the standard, doesn't mean that something could come along that is better. All my reading on the web indicates that they work well. I guess i'll be the judge of that. I'll let yall know how it works out.

• DS-WR450F

Posted July 01, 2009 - 08:52 PM

I swear by my E-line carbon fiber. Light weight, and has taken one beating after another in the rocky Nevada desert with no ill effects.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.