What radiator cap do you use??

11 replies to this topic
  • Dutch

Posted March 20, 2003 - 09:20 AM

I know about the Summers choices, isn't there a Kawasaki cap that can be used?
Could someone explain how a high temp themostat makes the BRP less likely to boil over??

• Rokatt88

Posted March 20, 2003 - 09:35 AM

I run a 1.8 Rad Cap from Baja Designs. Got it for $25 semolians. You can try to get a KX 80 Rad Cap, I believe they are 1.6 which supposedly works fine. When I checked the dealers in my area for the Kawie cap they were more expensive. Baja had the best deal for me in my area. The stock cap is a 1.1. The 1.6 & 1.8 caps are rated to handle higher pressure before barfing fluid. It puts more pressure on the hoses, but so far so good. Every Pig Bud I ride with runs the 1.8.

• loufish

Posted March 20, 2003 - 03:35 PM

I did have some boil over issues, but didn't want to jack up my coolant system pressure, my logic is that there is less chance of a radiator poping a hole if it takes a hit from falling down, a whack from a branch....I did change over to that "Engine Ice", and it seems to have less boil-over now.

• irondude

Posted March 20, 2003 - 07:55 PM

Kawasaki KX80 (1.6) cap fits nicely. Higher cap rating is needed when running (racing) without the overflow bottle attached. Changes the pressure/temp (not equal) at which coolent will spew. Hopefully that mud bogged radiator, or slow going up that crowded enduro hillclimb-that would have pushed the stock cap to bubble, isnt enough to get the 1.6 to pop its top. Not sure what the threshold temps are. Anyone?

• DRCR

Posted May 04, 2003 - 07:19 PM

OK I let my buddy ride my prized machine (XR650R) so I could show him how to ride his DR350E in deep sand with bald tires - bad idea. After a 45 min. hard ride he let my bike idle for about 2-3 minutes watching me turn around after a failed hill climb attempt. Then it happened - the ill fated boil over. I was not HAPPY. Bottom line it can happen when you least expect it and no he will not be on my bike any time soon. I will probably go with the 1.6 cap, water wetter and or EG based coolant per PHYSDON. Question if a 1.6 ATM cap = 23.52 PSI what does the stock cap =? Any luck getting a cap at the local Auto Parts?

• qadsan

Posted May 04, 2003 - 08:08 PM

My XR650R never boils over, even when other bikes in our riding group used to and I still use the stock rad cap. It will idle for 30+ minutes in warm weather and not boil over :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dezrider

Posted May 05, 2003 - 01:13 AM

I have never experienced a boil over on my bike. It has the stock cap. I don't idle the bike very long in one place and I try to keep it moving.

• Dutch

Posted May 05, 2003 - 04:07 AM

I have a couple of rides with the Summers cap and thermostat now. My bike has Devol guards and they look like they may restrict air some but they have paid for themselves many times over up here in nothern woods.
So the first thing I tried after installing the high pressure cap was to duplicate the conditions where "Betty" has puked up her coolant in the past - the cap is the fix, big difference.
The new thermostat works well also in that the bike warms up faster and doesn't "flame out" at stop lights as we are heading out of town on our way to the woods.

• loufish

Posted May 05, 2003 - 05:41 PM

Question if a 1.6 ATM cap = 23.52 PSI what does the stock cap =?

The "1.6" refers to 1.6 times normal atmoshere pressure, which is 14.7 psi. The stock cap is 1.1 times 14.7 = 16.7 psi.
This is why I don't run a high pressure cap, because I don't want to put that much more pressure on the cooling system, we are talking almost 50% more pressure.
If I knew where to get a slightly higher then stock cap, say a 1.2-1.4, then maybe I'd give it a shot.

• DRCR

Posted May 09, 2003 - 03:34 PM

Loufish my fellow xr-er you must be an engineer or PhD. I will now impress my buds with my new found knowledge on what in the world pressure 1.1 equals. I asked the guys on the cr450 page about running a higher number cap and they all reply against it. small sample but all neg. Now for the good news. I have tried to get my bike to boil again after a long hard run in the deep sand and no spillage. I even let it idle for 2-3 minutes (after the run) while turning my air screw out to 1 1/2. it now runs like --- darn good with the 72 pilot.

• smashinz2002

Posted May 11, 2003 - 07:07 PM

I don't know where all the "boil-over" stories are coming from. My bike has the usual power-up kit installed, and after 2 1/2 years of riding it now, it has never boiled over, or even gotten hot enough to not be able to touch the cylinder. Unless the bike is stock, how does it get so hot?
Of course, I never let it sit and idle for more than a minute or so, except for the usual 2 minute warm-up when cold. The bike doesn't have a fan, don't let it sit and idle, ride it. Even riding it up 1st and 2nd gear steep mountain trails with the 160 jet, never had it boil over.
L.L.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted May 15, 2003 - 07:04 AM

I don't know where all the "boil-over" stories are coming from.

My bike boils when it was at a 1.1 cap. But I also ride Glamis. With the 1.8 it's only boiled once due to an ill-fated wheel spinning knobbie tire attempt at a huge dune.

Normal riding in any heat... it's not boiled over with the 1.8 Not everyone needs that cap. But my bike would boil at a street light (in sunny San Diego, CA) with the 1.1 SOOooo, tell me what I'm doing wrong?!! From what I know, nothing. Boil overs happen due to all the elements.

I won't ride the XR any longer in the dunes... but that's only cuz I was able to buy a CRF. It just plain abused the XR due to it's weight...etc and my riding style.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.