2003 YZF450 info ?

14 replies to this topic
  • got2strum

Posted June 26, 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi all,
I am looking to get back into racing after a 9 year break . I know, its been awhile. After getting married and having kids, well you know how it goes.
Anyway, I recently found an 03' YZF 450 that is supposed to be mint. Original owner raced a few races before crashing hard and then let bike sit until current owner bought in 05'. He raced bike about half a season before hurting himself badly enough to leave bike sit as well. Bike is supposedly extremely good condition with title in hand.
Does this sound like a decent used bike buy and did these bikes have any major issues ? The last bike I raced was a 1993 CR 250. Would it be an improvement as far as handling/suspension ? I'm new to the four stroke mx bikes so I know that will take some adjustment.
Appreciate any info. Thanks.

• GENE426

Posted June 26, 2009 - 03:51 PM

I loved my 2004 and was pretty much the same as the 03
Never had a problem with it at all

• RJacks

Posted June 26, 2009 - 06:16 PM

Very erratic motor, but more tame than the previous years 426. If you are coming back from a 9 year hiatus, I would ride the bike and see what you think first. My suggestion though would be a flywheel weight to tame it down. Thinking back, I would've done the same thing when I bought mine back then. Suspension and handling will be better than your CR, but watch out for throttle chops on jump faces, and engine braking that you will not for see.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2009 - 06:39 PM

The engine is not erratic in any way, nor is it at all tamer than any 426, or much of anything else. The engine is in fact a great deal like a 2-stroke in that it's power is somewhat instantaneous and free revving, but much different in that the power curve is 3 times as wide, the throttle exerts far more linear control over the engine, and if you can hear it running, it's "on the pipe".

A flywheel weight is a very good investment. It's a handful, and can be a little tiring because of it, but it's quite rideable.

• finthat

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I am just coming back into riding after a more than 15 year break. Last time I rode I was in my teens. My first "come back" bike was an old CR500 that I got for a few hundred bucks 2 years ago. After not being able to pull the clutch in after two laps I figured a change was needed. I now am running an 03 yz450f and love it. Predictable power, easy starting easy to ride and hold onto. I am going to be hare scrambling it next month.

If the one you are after runs and rides good I would be all over it.

• got2strum

Posted June 26, 2009 - 07:50 PM

Thanks guys. The bike is supposedly in mint condition, not one thing wrong except for maybe some yellowing in the white graphics on tank. If I remember right, the original owner only did a few races, and the current owner raced a half season at most before pretty much parking it. Think he said he rode it twice in past two years. If this is the case I'm hoping it has a few years in it before a rebuild. Also has a GTYR or something complete exhaust ?

• RJacks

Posted June 27, 2009 - 06:20 AM

The engine is in fact a great deal like a 2-stroke in that it's power is somewhat instantaneous and free revving

A flywheel weight is a very good investment. It's a handful, and can be a little tiring because of it, but it's quite rideable.

Which is the same reason I said erratic:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Which is the same reason I said erratic:bonk:

erratic |iˈratik|
adjective
not even or regular in pattern or movement; unpredictable : her breathing was erratic.

Sorry, but the word doesn't describe an '03 YZ450

• RJacks

Posted June 27, 2009 - 07:49 AM

Sorry, but the word doesn't describe an '03 YZ450

Get all Einstein on me why don't you.

Funny though how each described the bike the way we did, but both of us recommended a flywheel weight. :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Get all Einstein on me why don't you.

Funny though how each described the bike the way we did, but both of us recommended a flywheel weight.

Words mean particular things.

Everything you said about the bike was fundamentally correct except that the engine is not erratic, and that it is also not tamer than the earlier models in any way I can think of. It's clearly powerful enough in the lower mid range that throttle control is both important and difficult, and a flywheel helps a lot. But the throttle control is smooth and linear compared to any two stoke, and quite predictable.

• witdogg

Posted June 27, 2009 - 10:05 AM

My first 4 stroke was a '03 YZ450F. It was a great bike and I had zero problems with it. They do have balls and can be a handful but to this day it was one of my favorite bikes to own and ride.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 27, 2009 - 07:05 PM

My 2 cents -

I would describe the 03 as "snappy". As mentioned earlier, a FWW helps reduce the responsiveness to make it more manageable. They jumped when you grabbed the throttle. I really enjoyed my 03's.
As for suspension improvements compared to the 93 CR250, well, I still have a 93 CR250 in my shop and even though the forks on the 03 YZ's weren't great, they are worlds better than the evil units Honda bolted onto the 93 CR250! :worthy: But that's a story for another thread.
It will not corner like the 93 CR250 - few bikes do.

The few less than positive comments about it:

The forks don't even compare to the 06 and later YZ KYB's, the 4 speed wasn't ideal for off-roading and it was a bit tall, relatively speaking.

However, I did like the planted feel the front end had compared to my 06. It just felt like it had a significant weight bias difference.

All around fun bike!

:lol:

• got2strum

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:34 AM

Thanks a bunch everyone. It turns out I was lucky enough to find a great deal on an 06' YZ450F ! I really like the bike alot. It has a very light feel to it. My only complaint would be that the front end feels like it wants to push in corners. The suspension is really sweet. It was done by CDR in MD. Power is extremely smooth comparing it to my old CR. Although I haven't rode any other 4-strokes to compare it with.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2009 - 05:49 AM

Thanks a bunch everyone. It turns out I was lucky enough to find a great deal on an 06' YZ450F ! I really like the bike alot. It has a very light feel to it. My only complaint would be that the front end feels like it wants to push in corners. The suspension is really sweet. It was done by CDR in MD. Power is extremely smooth comparing it to my old CR. Although I haven't rode any other 4-strokes to compare it with.

a better choice for your money. Now search on 06 YZF and turning....there are many ways to help fix the push you are experiencing....just get the wallet out :worthy:

• got2strum

Posted July 17, 2009 - 06:03 AM

...just get the wallet out :worthy:

HaHa ! No Doubt !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.