Pictures of air box mod

6 replies to this topic
  • msgbean

Posted March 20, 2003 - 05:54 AM

Here are the pictures of my air box mod. I got the idea from another TT member but I don't remember who it was. Sorry. Removing the snorkel alone isn’t enough because if you look at how the plastic bulge on the bottom of the seat almost plugs the hole you will see what I mean. I drilled a total of 12 one inch holes which I think equates to about the same area we lost due to the battery. If you plan on running in deep water (which I don’t here in the desert) you might not want to put holes as low as I did on the side. You could also put those one inch screen plugs in the holes if you wanted but I was after max air flow. It’s a very clean and hidden mod and it put new life into my WR. I was disappointed in the power because it wasn’t any better than my 426 but after this mod it transformed it into the 450 it should be.

Air Box Mods

• David_Gronlund

Posted March 20, 2003 - 10:34 AM

Thats what I did to mine, except for the trimming of the cover. I also didn't put so many holes on the hidden side of the box. I was scared of water getting in.

I stuck those cool little filtered inserts in the holes. I think they are made by Uni. They come 6 in a box. Looks a little cleaner than just a hole in the side of your airbox (on the couple you can actually see of course).

Nice job, and excellent pics. I had to turn my fuel screw out another half a turn after this mod because it leaned it out a tad from the increased amount of air going into the engine.

• msgbean

Posted March 20, 2003 - 11:43 AM

Hello David. Now I remember. You are the one I got the idea from. Thanks. When I was done I thought maybe I shouldn't have put the three lower holes in but if by change I do plan on riding where water is involved I could cover them up with duct tape or something

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted March 20, 2003 - 06:41 PM

Looks pretty sano but how waterproof is it?

• blue_beast_wins

Posted March 20, 2003 - 08:41 PM

Bent your rim already. :)

• comptoon

Posted March 21, 2003 - 10:21 AM

What type of pipe do you have on your bike?

nice mod I did the same but put screen filters on it.
good job

• msgbean

Posted March 21, 2003 - 11:26 AM

Yep, thats why I'm not worried about water. Nothing but rocks and desert.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.